FTX Bullets Comparison

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: FTX Bullets Comparison

Postby Nosparks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Jim
Did you get a chance to shoot that next set of 225's? Im curious in you taper only results verse taper+side crimp. I dont have a side crimp and MOD/MOH(Minutes of Deer/Minutes of Hog) are my real concern. If the differences are extreme, I may have to employ wc or hoot to craft me one ! :D
Nosparks

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 am

Nosparks wrote:Jim
Did you get a chance to shoot that next set of 225's? Im curious in you taper only results verse taper+side crimp. I dont have a side crimp and MOD/MOH(Minutes of Deer/Minutes of Hog) are my real concern. If the differences are extreme, I may have to employ wc or hoot to craft me one ! :D

The short answer is, "no".

Do to the dearth of reloading components, I decided to acquire a couple of different primers and reload using them for a comparison test. I hope to get to the range next week to fire about a dozen rounds using each of the three brands I have on hand.

After that, I will try my hand at the stab crimp process with my next batch to be reloaded. I will try both 225's and 250's.

Thanks for reminding me to get busy.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
Nosparks wrote:Jim

The short answer is, "no".

Do to the dearth of reloading components, I decided to acquire a couple of different primers and reload using them for a comparison test. I hope to get to the range next week to fire about a dozen rounds using each of the three brands I have on hand.

After that, I will try my hand at the stab crimp process with my next batch to be reloaded. I will try both 225's and 250's.

Thanks for reminding me to get busy.

FWIW, an aggressive stab crimp will regain up to several hundred fps yielded by a weak primer using just a taper crimp FWIW...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Nosparks » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:50 pm

FWIW, an aggressive stab crimp will regain up to several hundred fps yielded by a weak primer using just a taper crimp FWIW...Hoot

Hoot, In your research have you found that a taper is fine when using rem 7 1/2 primers and 225s?
Nosparks

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Nosparks wrote:
FWIW, an aggressive stab crimp will regain up to several hundred fps yielded by a weak primer using just a taper crimp FWIW...Hoot

Hoot, In your research have you found that a taper is fine when using rem 7 1/2 primers and 225s?

To me it was great. To someone who can't rest until they've squeezed every fps out of a recipe without blowing up the gun, then no.

Hate sounding like a broken record, but those components, combined with Lil Gun, are to date the most accurate load from my particular barrel. So, I guess I get grouped into the flip of the coin. That being someone who can't rest until they've squeezed every bit of accuracy from a recipe. :lol:

I'm sitting up tonight since I'm on call this weekend for the 911 Dispatch Center and half the county, including the dispatch center is running on generator power already due to storms that beat us up earlier this evening. A new wave of storms is just arriving at my place, about 23 miles west of the dispatch center. Don't want to go to bed until that wave passes the dispatch center and they're still opertional. It's easier to stay up than to wake up from a deep sleep and not sound like a fool on the phone to a panicked Watch Sergeant. Yawn...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Nosparks » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks Hoot,
Im going to make up a few loads based on your previous findings. I believe you have a 20" barrel, I have a 16". Im curios to seem the similarities and differences. Ill post my finding when I get a chance to get out and shoot.
Nosparks

Postby RR44 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 am

Here here I second that salute! Good job sir!
RR44

Postby Dave selepack » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:36 pm

Hoot I am new to forum and just read your research on these bullets and it appears that you are the ( MAN !!!) GOD BLESS.
Dave selepack

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 am

I have had good results with WSR primers and taper crimp only. IMHO the extra effort in making the side crimp isn't worth it, but I, too, am not wringing the last fps out of the cartridge.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Update, I finally set up a Google Drive account and recovered all the images lost when I changed my ISP a few years after I posted them.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b