450B too much for a hand cannon?

T/C Encore in 450b anyone?

Moderator: MudBug

450B too much for a hand cannon?

Postby NordicRX8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Wow... this section of the boards is barren compared to the rest. Is there a lack of interest in using a .450B in a hand cannon? I'd love to see a revolver (and the guys that shoot them - while shooting them!) chambered in .450B. Isn't the .460S&W magnum close in dimensions to the Thumper? I know the .460S&W uses a .454 bullet and uses a rimmed case but isn't that what moonclips and lead bullets compensate for? :twisted: Could a .460 revolver shoot Thumper rounds?

I've only fired hot loaded .44mags out of a Super RedHawk and Blackhawk and that was something I don't need to experience again... on a regular basis. I like the .45Win Mag out of a Grizzly and .460 Rowlands on 1911 platforms, but the Uber Revolvers have never attracted me (wouldn't mind a couple of Pythons my collection though). Way too much recoil even with the SA grip. I'm guessing a Thumper round fired single handed would be a bit much... just wondering how it compares to the Linebaughs and S&W Magnums of the same size.

Maybe because there already exists these huge revolver cartridges, that there's no real benefit of have one chambered in the .450B?
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Re: 450B too much for a hand cannon?

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:47 pm

NordicRX8 wrote:1). Wow...Could a .460 revolver shoot Thumper rounds?

2). Maybe because there already exists these huge revolver cartridges, that there's no real benefit of have one chambered in the .450B?

1). Sure can be and I'm doing a raft of them right now, custom moon clips and all.
2). Not true, the Europeans think we are crazy to have a rifle and pistol that shoots the same cartridge, but then again, they don't have the sense to come in out of the rain, when it comes to maintaining Liberty, be it in Dodge City or from Democrats or in Moose/Bear Country..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby dcbeattie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 pm

I love big bore revolvers.. I dearly need a .50 SW with a 2.5 or 3 inch barrel.. I have a SW 44 mag mountain gun and an old Herter's single action 44 mag and a Winchester 94 in 44 mag. So a 450 bm would be great fun.............
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:14 pm

A fellow I used to work with had one of those single shot pistols with the breech that rotated open, I forget the name, in .308. I count shooting it as one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my shooting career. I have a .44 Magnum and in comparison, it was like shooting a .38 special to that .308. It was only but for the grace of God that I managed to not lose my grip on it. I lost a week's work while the tendons in my wrist healed and I was pushing a strong 275 lbs at the time. I took 4 KV at 1 Amp jolt from my pinky to my elbow once that hurt less. I'll never try a hand cannon again. :cry:
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 am

Hoot wrote:A fellow I used to work with had one of those single shot pistols with the breech that rotated open, I forget the name, in .308. I count shooting it as one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my shooting career. I have a .44 Magnum and in comparison, it was like shooting a .38 special to that .308. It was only but for the grace of God that I managed to not lose my grip on it. I lost a week's work while the tendons in my wrist healed and I was pushing a strong 275 lbs at the time. I took 4 KV at 1 Amp jolt from my pinky to my elbow once that hurt less. I'll never try a hand cannon again. :cry:
Hoot

I know what your are talking about. I recently fire six Hypo 357mag rounds out of one of those Light Weight Smiths. Though not as traumatic as your experience, for weeks after word I, the web of the hand could diffidently tell I was shooting. Though these things are nice to carry, but target practice better be with very light target loads, saving the kill loads for the Crumbesians.

On a lighter note, my Revolver Cannot be described as a Hand Cannon at all. Even though it has much more power than the 454 Casual and on par with the 460 S&W it has a noticeably milder recoil. Not sure why, but I think it's because of how we burn the powder, with a fatter column as opposed for the narrower column of powder..t

PS.. Now that I'm thinking about it. Remind me, I seem to remember something about solids in a revolver and the so-called cop killer debacle. And I seem to remember that we either can't use the solids in a pistol or it was over-turned or something like that. Also, if it turns out that a solid can't be used in a pistol and a rifle cartridge can and they both share the same cartridge, isn't there some kind of conflict with the rifle cartridge now, not being able to use the solids, because its ammo can be used in a pistol? I seem to remember such conflicts, but that they have been resolved or am I mistaken? I'll bet one of our guys has the skinny on this..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BayouBob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:01 am

The definition in Public Law 99-408 is bullets or bullet cores made of bronze, brass, steel, iron, berylium copper, or depleted uranium. (Reckon how much a depleted urnanium bullet would cost?) There is an exception for bullets the Secretary of the Treasury finds are designed for "sporting purposes." (Also of interest in the research, the term sporting purposes was never used in U.S. firearms law until it was adapted from the Nazi German firearms laws by former Senator Dodd of Connecticut. He was a part of the Nurenburg tribunal and evidently got some of his ideas on gun control from the people he was prosecuting!) Maybe the folks at the Freedom Group (Barnes) would come out with a solid copper bullet in about 300 grains that could fit the 450. It could be an X-bullet without the X and wouldn't be illegal under the definition.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Randy1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 am

I have a 15 inch 30.06 pistol barrel for my Encore with a muzzle brake attached. If you applied the same to a 450B Encore pistol barrel, recoil should be a small problem at best.
OTOH, that 460 S&W shooting 450B sounds like a GREAT idea. How does it shoot?
Randy1

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

I asked my favorite gun dealer about what I would have to do to purchase a .450b revolver.

Apparently, I can't. Not Kalifornia drop tested, etc.

But, he suggested, if I purchase a S&W 460, for example, I could ship it directly to someone to do whatever it needs to be a .450b and get it shipped directly back to me without any interferance from Athorities.

Is this correct?

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Return to Pistols