DANGEROUS LOADING PRACTICES

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

DANGEROUS LOADING PRACTICES

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Research and Development vs. High Pressure Loads vs. Safety vs. Advancing the Art..

It’s come to my attention, that the Worry-Warts on other boards are afraid we are going to blow up a gun and that what we are trying to do is unsafe and that I personally am leading a charge to encourage you all to do something UNSAFE as it were.

Nothing Could Be Further From The Truth. No One here and certainly not I have not ever advocated any unsafe principal or practice, nor do we intend to, ever! If you’ve thought we have, please excuse our Prose, not many of us are English Majors, with little experience in translating our thoughts into text, which is why you must be careful with taking any advice from these pages or anywhere else for that matter. The data is compiled from personal experiences and your experiences, using this data, WILL be different, maybe even dangerous!!

We on this Board/Forum, for the most part are Professional/Semi-Professional/Highly Experienced Amateurs. And many in the last group are more forward thinking than some of us, so-called “Experts”, to which I bow to you and learn from those, my dear friends.

Many of us here see where improvements can be made and are striving to find the Boundaries, all in our Pursuit of Excellence, but only where SAFETY can be maintained.

I was recently on the Bonneville Salt Flats, attending SPEED WEEK. Now I have no idea how many of what looked like thousands, of men and women, where Amateurs, but it is fair to say almost all were. But they shared a common goal, to squeeze the last drop of performance out of old, new, and custom cars, trucks, and motorcycles. They accept the fact that accidents can and do happen, but strive to not have any and all this in their Pursuit of a better Mouse Trap. They readily share their data and experiences with one another, just like us.

We here on this Board, 450Bushmaster.net, do the same, we are striving for excellence, but all the while with one overriding theme, SAFETY. If you don’t know what you are doing DO-NOT attempt to do what we here are doing. We who are trying to go forward, share our data and all of us understand about the inherent risks involved and there are many.

Those who will do it, will. Those who can’t do it stay on the porch and criticize those who will and expose themselves as small minded, jealous, Nay Sayers. Think about it, if the hand ringers had their way we wouldn’t have gone to the Moon or built 300+MPH cars or ever risked electrocution in building the first computers (after all, what would the Lawyers say), to say nothing of building the most advanced, the most powerful and the most useful, semi-auto rifle in history, but then again, there are those who except the risks and want try to make a better World anyway, and live to an unspoken code.."Qui audet adipiscitur", Who Dares Wins.. Can I get an AMEN?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: DANGEROUS LOADING PRACTICES

Postby Siringo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Well said!
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 am

I've run into that attitude from a couple people and just told them that I have never seen you advocate doing stupid stuff. Just that you have reported what you were able to do and to explore what the 450b can do but keep it safe.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:50 am

:!: Amen... well spoken ;)

Though new to this site; I've been collecting/hunting/shooting & reloading all my life (51yrs)... sometimes reloading cartridges w/o my dad knowing about it in my early years :? My son is now a 4th generation firearms enthusiast and handloader also. From the beginning, I was taught about gun safety; from gun handling to reloading; all the while safely testing & pushing the limits of some calibers and guns. After all that's why we handload, right? ;) I really enjoy this site and all the contributions I find here, and I take full responsiblility for all my own actions when applying that info to my reloading bench. :)
May your brass stay shiney and your bullets fly straight... MD 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby BD1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm

I take responsibility for my actions in all things. Darwins theory takes responsibility for those who venture where they should not have tread.

Reloading can be a dangerous activity. While all risk can never be eliminated in any endevor, reloading can be approached in a safe and methodical manner. I try and always add a disclaimer to anything I post, and I'm pretty clear when Quickload is telling me I'm over the Saami pressure limit. If the risk involved bothers someone, don't go there. I suppose Mudbug could put together a disclaimer page similar to the powder companies "click to agree" page you have to go through to get on the site. For myself, I feel that the forum header pretty much covers it.
BD
Last edited by BD1 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MudBug » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:40 pm

I think this is a good discussion for all to read and participate in, so I'm gonna make it out second official sticky...woot!
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby talonxracer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:37 am

Reloading, like any endeavor requires you to first learn to crawl and then walk and finally to run, there is no SAFE shortcut to this procedure.
talonxracer

Postby BLA » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:39 am

It baffles me that no one has published pressure data on the 450B reloads. Someone should give us safe limits to work in, developed in the lab not on quickload!
BLA

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 am

BLA wrote:It baffles me that no one has published pressure data on the 450B reloads. Someone should give us safe limits to work in, developed in the lab not on quickload!

Patients my dear Friend,

The ought six is more than 100 years in the making and the 45-70 was being used by Heavenly Father, way back when and still there isn't a complete record of pressure results, pretty good, but not complete.

The Tort has everyone scared and slows the progress in everything. The Trial Lawyers Assoc. have as an extension of their organization the Democratic Party, which explains much in our everyday life pursuits, to say nothing of Gun Control or Weapons/Load development/Health-Care, the list is endless.

But I tell you this Mr BLA, latter this summer I will have new pressure equipment here and will be submitting all the info I can, soon. And even then it won't be enough, for if I spent all my time just churning out pressure data, Aunt Millie's favorite load will be over looked. But we will get good snap-shots never the less, of the work we have already done and I will be wanting you guys to submit to my labs your favorite loads for possible testing. Realizing that we will still be guessing on much of this new data, for instance, if we have six dozen 296 loadings I might only be testing for the low, midrange, and then the high, leaving you, the loader, to infer what your particular load might actually be. Of course, if a particular load range emerges and everyone here is feeling quite good about the results, I will be happy to extensively test that area +- of that load group.

Being very redundant, time is our Master, which is why you and anyone else on this board might have to take some Mini-Vacations over here, LeMAG CENTRAL, to help out (now that would be fun the LeMAG first annual "Shutze-Em-Uppers-Fietz"..wink)..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby mikil » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 am

Hi I'm new to this forum and a new 450 owner,which I love to shoot.I have other calibers and have been around guns my whole life but have a lot to learn. I want to start reloading and I am learning but maybe the 450 round isn't what I should try early on. Any thoughts or suggestions would help. Thanks Mike
mikil

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b