Michigan 450 hunting

Let's see the trophies you took with other calibers and weapons, etc
Hunting, Fishing Trapping, Noodling, I don't care.

Moderator: MudBug

Michigan 450 hunting

Postby Handgunner » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:21 pm

image.jpg
450 Bushy Deer
image.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 31607 times
Michigan's first year allowing rifle hunting with straight walled cartridges in the traditional shotgun zone. Took this buck 9:30am Nov. 16 2014 second day of firearms season. Used my 450 Bushy upper on a Colt LE6940 lower.
Now I know to some of you this is not a buck you shoot. We love to eat Venison this one will taste GREAT. I have no issue with Trophy hunting. I have shot some very nice bucks over the years and some have been tasty but most a little tough and strong. I try to shoot two deer a year only. If I get a nice one I donate the meat to our Lansing food bank, Which is all ground into burger.
Please no comments of not shooting younger Bucks. This one is a 1 1/2 yr old. Still a spike, not a lot of potential for a huge rack but should and will be VERY tasty.
Last edited by Handgunner on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Re: Michigan 450 hunting

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Handgunner wrote:Michigan's first year allowing rifle hunting with straight walled cartridges in the traditional shotgun zone. Took this buck 9:30am Nov. 16 2014 second day of firearms season. Used my 450 Bushy upper on a Colt LE6940 lower.
Now I know to some of you this is not a buck you shoot. We love to eat Venison this one will taste GREAT. I have no issue with Trophy hunting. I have shot some very nice bucks over the years and some have been tasty but most a little tough and strong. I try to shoot two deer a year only. If I get a nice one I donate the meat to our Lansing food bank, Which is all ground into burger.
Please no comments of not shooting younger Bucks. This one is a 1 1/2 yr old. Still a spike, not a lot of potential for a huge rack but should and will be VERY tasty.

Sometimes I think we shoot our own feet off by criticizing our other guys Hunting Prowess.. Like this kind of thing.."That's not Hunting. Only the way I do it is hunting"..

When we do this we are playing into the hands of the Anti's.

I don't care if Handgunner here, used an A10 Warthog. He got it and I'm jealous!

.."Way-to-go-Handgunner".. I say kill'em all and let your Tummy sort them out!!

As for me, and I live North of Lapeer, in the thumb of MI, for you CHEECHAKO's (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheechako). I saw three yesterday and almost got shooting on two today. But alas, no Joy!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Handgunner » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks Wildcatter
Appreciate the kind words. Tried to get a picture on but don't see it anywhere??
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Handgunner wrote:Thanks Wildcatter
Appreciate the kind words. Tried to get a picture on but don't see it anywhere??

MAN!! Try again!! I want the Bragging Rights!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby texrider » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:20 pm

I don't know why anyone wants to criticize other peoples hunting. There are those that hunt to put meat on the table for the whole year. If one of them happens to be a trophy buck, then all the merrier if that is what your after. Here in Texas most counties only allow 2 bucks and in most they have to have an inside spread of 13" or be a spike. Some allow doe and some only allow doe during certain seasons. My first is always to put meat in the freezer and after that I can worry about if I want to wait on something big or not.
So I say that's a nice kill, congrats. But...there are ways and recipes to help out with those "strong ones". That's mostly a personal flavor there though.
texrider

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:24 pm

I know this is an old thread but I sure would like to see some updates on success here in Michigan with the 450B.
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby Handgunner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Hello
I am hunting the 450 Bushy again this year. So far have not been able to fill a tag. Seen several nice bucks but no shot. Seen a good nunber of doe but not ready to tag on yet, will later in the season. The round is a fantastic Whitetail cartridge for down here in the multi gun zone, or anywhere else for that matter. Doing some reloading with the Hornady 200gr FTX AND the 225gr as well. Busy most of summer and did not get a chance to range them. So still using the factory 250gr FTX. Which is a very good bullet. I just don't think I need the heavier bullet. Took several nice deer with the Smith 460 XVR revolver. The bullet performed fantastic. With the longer barrel (I have the 16" carbine) it should perform even better. Will post when I can on range results.
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:28 am

Opening Day success here in Northern Michigan with a recently built 450B using a Tromix 18" lightweight barrel. Not a huge deer but decent sized for the area that I hunt. The shot was approximately 100 yards out, walking broadside to my location and the bullet passed through both shoulders. He got one jump after the impact and landed about 10 feet from the point where he was shot. I am three for three this season with two different 450B rifles. The other two deer were does shot during the early doe season and both went down quickly. This is a highly effective caliber for whitetail deer. :)
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby Handgunner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:12 am

Congrats
Any Deer is a NICE Deer
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:12 am

I love to eat venison and the size of the antler tends to have an inverse relationship to the flavor of the meat. Besides that I was more interested in testing this caliber out on various deer this season and have been lucky enough to have a few chances to do just that. It just works!

I have a tendency to take the first legal deer that walks by me if the freezer has room for it anyways.
BayShoreBallistics

Next

Return to The General Trophy Wall