HE WHO DRAWS FIRST BLOOD...

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

HE WHO DRAWS FIRST BLOOD...

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:07 am

image.jpg
Kameron Jorgenson
image.jpg (138.92 KiB) Viewed 17918 times

He Who Draws First Blood. A lesson in ethics.
Lets discuss an issue that has recently arisen in the town of Oneida, Wisconsin, where an eleven year old boy shot a nine point buck. Kameron Jorgenson and his father, DJ Jorgenson were hunting when Kameron shot and wounded a nine point buck, according to Fox 11 News reporter Eric Peterson.
The wounded buck got back up and took off. Kameron and his father tracked the buck to a neighbors' property but before they could even get permission, they heard two more shots. Those were the shots of the land owner, Randy Heyrman. Heyrman was on his own property in a deer stand and he saw the wounded buck come onto his land and there, he finished the buck.
Kameron and his father approached the fence line and Heyrman met them at the fence but refused to give credit to Kameron for the buck, even though it appears that Heyrman knew the boy had drawn first blood. Randy Heyrman acknowledged that Kameron wounded the buck in the lower shoulders and even took pictures of the wound. But the hunters were in deadlock as to who should have rightful ownership of the deer. So, Heyrman said they would flip a coin to see who should have the deer. Seriously, Randy? Is that the ethics of a true sportsman? Kameron lost the coin toss.
Here is where I am going to have to draw the line. Let's look at this from an outsiders' point of view. Yes, I do agree that the rules of landowners' rights are in play here. Yes, I agree that the deer was on the landowners' property at the time the landowner finished the buck. And yes, by LAW, the landowner has the right to keep the animal. But come on, Randy. There is no law that REQUIRES you to be an asshat. You acknowledged that Kameron drew first blood. You knew that neither Kameron or the deer was on your property AT THE TIME that Kameron drew first blood. And Randy, you have a definitive advantage over young Kameron in that you have your own land, deer stand where you can have other opportunites to harvest deer at your discretion. And how many deer have you killed over your lifespan as compared to an eleven year old boy who has yet to really experience hunting? The mere suggestion of a coin toss to see who should have the deer is ridiculous. There's a saying going around that I think fits well here..."I have met some pricks in my time, but you, sir, are a friggin cactus". And Randy Heyrman, You're a monumental Joshua Tree. Kameron Jorgenson is the rightful owner of that nine point buck and you know it. How could you dare to con that boy out of his first big buck through a game of chance? Even though the laws were on your side, your lack of ethics makes you look like a crook stealing candy from an innocent child. What could it have possibly hurt for you to congratulate Kameron and his father and allow them to come on your land to take the buck they worked so hard to track? What would you have lost?

image.jpg
image.jpg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 17918 times

Here, let me show you how it is supposed to work. Let's use me and a true story as an example. In 1997, I was hunting up in Colorado for Mule Deer when I heard a couple of shots just over the next ridge from me. A few minutes later, I saw movement up the mountain side in a small stand of trees. When I finally got to the area, I found a buck "bedded down" and remaining motionless, but his head was up and he was alert but seemed to be wounded, even though I saw no immediate signs of injury. I was too close for a rifle shot, so I shouldered my 7mm and pulled my .357 Mag and stalked in closer. I got close enough to see that the buck was indeed wounded and when I shot him, the buck leaped up and started to run off. I fired three more rounds at the fleeing buck and one round entered just behind the last rib on the bucks' right side and exited through his chest. The buck stumbled and fell and collapsed in a nearby raveen. As I approached the now dead buck, A young boy about sixteen to seventeen years old apppeared and approached me. He was very nervous as he tried to explain that he had shot and wounded the buck but it ran off. He said he was only using a 6mm rifle, the exact cartridge, I don't remember, and he was afraid that he only wounded the deer. I told the boy about how I found the deer and what had transpired before he showed up. I agreed that a 6mm rifle for Mulies was a bit too light and that it took a few shots of my .357 to finish it. By this time, the kid's father showed up. We sat around and told the old man what happened and we pulled the deer out of the raveen. The boy's old man told the son, "Okay, let's leave the man alone and let him get his deer dressed and back to camp", but I immediately protested, "No Sir! This is your son's deer! Not mine. I just helped him finish it." I said, "Your son drew first blood, not me, so it is truly his." The old man looked at me kind of odd and said "Are you sure?" "Absolutely" I replied. "Just let me take a few pictures of the deer, me, my 357 and your kid, because the guys at camp aint gonna believe this.." So we took pictures. And I left the father and son to bask in their adventure together.
The rule to remember here is,
"HE WHO DRAWS FIRST BLOOD GETS THE ANIMAL."
Randy Heyrman, you're a shallow and selfish individual. And I hope you stay on your land for the rest of your natural life. Because you, and guys like you are NOT welcome in our camps and leases. You failed to see the importance of how ethics can win and still be within the law. You destroyed a little boy's memorable hunt with his father by your selfish act. Randy Heyrman, you and your ethics disgust me. Speaking as a 52 year old father, grandfather, hunter and a landowner, I truly hope that the hunting community around you from this point on will learn from your offensive actions. I encourage other true sportsmen to distance themselves from you and ostracize you from any of their activities, especially any activities involving the youth of Oneida, WI. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I would suggest that you apologize to Kameron and his father for the way you acted, but that would require you to stand face to face with them and I don't believe that you have the guts. Just remember, every time you look at that buck, it really belonged to a little boy who deserves it more than you do.
Kameron Jorgenson, we are pround of you and your deer. You did the right thing all the way. Don't let this experience taint your love of hunting. Guys like Randy Heyrman are few and far between and after this story broke, I hope more people will understand that Ethics and Landowner rights don't have to clash. You will get another chance. My little bloodbrother, if I could afford plane tickets and a deer lease, I would get you and your dad down here to Texas for a chance at a Texas deer.
I would do it in a heartbeat.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://fox11online.com/2014/11/25/deer- ... coin-flip/

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: HE WHO DRAWS FIRST BLOOD...

Postby Spike1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 am

Sheepdawg I agree with you 100% ;)
Spike1

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:58 am

Look at Kameron's expression. Then look at the kid's expression in my 1997 picture. It just turns my guts that a man could be so cold.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 am

Couldn't believe the responses to the video although most responding never hunted in their life. Young hunter shooting his first buck should always get the deer. I hope this don't sour his future hunting! If that guys brains were dynamite, he couldn't blow his nose....
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby MarkCO » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:35 am

Did you know that the law in Colorado is that the kill shot garner's possession? While I understand your premise and agree with it, you technically broke the law in Colorado by not tagging an animal you killed.
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:36 am

And yes, I wrote this all by myself. LOL.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am

MarkCO wrote:Did you know that the law in Colorado is that the kill shot garner's possession? While I understand your premise and agree with it, you technically broke the law in Colorado by not tagging an animal you killed.

I wasn't aware of that law, but that does not change anything. All I can say is I'm glad there's a statute of limitations.
And I refuse to take an animal away from a kid. I'll just make sure that should I ever return to CO for a hunt, I will keep a copy of that particular law in my pocket. Or better yet, since Colorado ran off all us Texas hunters anyway, and now with all the gun control BS, I'll just not spend my $$$$ in Colorado.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:43 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
MarkCO wrote:Did you know that the law in Colorado is that the kill shot garner's possession? While I understand your premise and agree with it, you technically broke the law in Colorado by not tagging an animal you killed.

I wasn't aware of that law, but that does not change anything. All I can say is I'm glad there's a statute of limitations.

Most Colorado DOW officers are hunters, and most will look at intent. I shot two wounded elk with no tag, then called DOW. One officer wanted to write me a ticket, the other thanked me for doing the right thing. :)
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 am

But this isn't about me anyway. It's about a kid who will forever be tainted by his experience with Mr. Randy Heyrman.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:18 am

Also. If the law in WI is the same as Colorado, why did the man offer up a coin toss? Wouldn't that "LEGALLY" make him a criminal also contributing to the delinquency of a minor for encouraging the boy to indulge in a game of chance to win back his deer? So if this is true, then who's the worse criminal? Me for doing what I believed was ethical and legal that was to give the kid first blood rights or Mr. Heyrman luring in a small child to engage in a cruel mind game and what some would consider a gamble or a game of chance?
By Colorado LAW Heyrman legally got his deer but consider his intent. By Colorado LAW, what I did was illegal and the kid got a deer that he didn't have a right to, but then consider my intent.
Who's the evil one here? In the eyes of the Law?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Off Topic