Compare Bushmaster 450 and Franklin 450 uppers

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Compare Bushmaster 450 and Franklin 450 uppers

Postby ratpack » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:50 am

Has there already been a comparison done with these two uppers, mainly the obvious things, izzy brake vs. Revere? Also any other thoughts, reliability etc..........?
The spending seems perpetual!!
ratpack

Re: Compare Bushmaster 450 and Franklin 450 uppers

Postby ratpack » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 am

Wow, and I thought you guys looked pretty smart out there. No need to throw dirt at either one, simply on a fact finding mission. Have a lot to learn before I take major plunge$$$$$$$!
ratpack

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 am

I think a lot of people are not answering because they have little to no experience with both of brands. I am very happy with my bushmaster but have never seen a franklin so I cannot speak to the quality of them.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:36 am

While I don't have a complete Franklin upper, I did rebarrel my 20 inch Bushmaster with one of their 20 inch barrels. Before I go into that, I wanted to say that as soon as my Bushmaster upper first arrived, I got rid of the Izzy brake. It is more like a flash hider than a brake.
My Bushmaster chrome lined barrel took a while to break in and accuracy to hit it's peak. The general impression I've gotten reading online is that the Nitride finish inside the Franiklin bore will take considerably longer to break in. The plus side to that is that equates to a longer time before it wears out. In all honesty, I doubt any of us will shoot our 450b enough to worry about the latter.

At the risk of drawing fire, I believe that even with the 20 inch barrel, that the rifle length gas system used on the Franklin barrel, or any brand barrel as far as that goes, is not a good match for this caliber. Yes, it can be made to work, but IMHO it is not the optimum dwell time scenario. While the carbine length gas system on the Bushmaster may error on the opposite side of the equation, I feel it is a better overall choice for the widest selection of reloading schemes. I don't know why no one gave serious attention to a Mid-Length system as a better compromise on a 20 inch barrel. Then again, that's just my honest opinion.

The quality of the Franklin barrel is fine, but not having a complete upper, I can't speculate on their entire upper. A lot of folks don't appreciate the need to break in AR before drawing conclusions about their performance. Whichever you wind up getting. Given the cost of ammo, spend some time dry cycling it with plenty of lube applied, pausing occasionally to flush it out, re-lube and repeat. As for which I'd recommend over the other, I'd give the edge to the actual Bushmaster, but only in order to get the shorter gas system, however plan on buying a real brake for it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:42 am

Hoot wrote:While I don't have a complete Franklin upper, I did rebarrel my 20 inch Bushmaster with one of their 20 inch barrels. Before I go into that, I wanted to say that as soon as my Bushmaster upper first arrived, I got rid of the Izzy brake. It is more like a flash hider than a brake.
My Bushmaster chrome lined barrel took a while to break in and accuracy to hit it's peak. The general impression I've gotten reading online is that the Nitride finish inside the Franiklin bore will take considerably longer to break in. The plus side to that is that equates to a longer time before it wears out. In all honesty, I doubt any of us will shoot our 450b enough to worry about the latter. (20,000-120,000rds, if ever!! This Cartridge just isn't Over-Bored in the slightest)

At the risk of drawing fire, I believe that even with the 20 inch barrel, that the rifle length gas system used on the Franklin barrel, or any brand barrel as far as that goes, is not a good match for this caliber. Yes, it can be made to work, but IMHO it is not the optimum dwell time scenario. While the carbine length gas system on the Bushmaster may error on the opposite side of the equation, I feel it is a better overall choice for the widest selection of reloading schemes. I don't know why no one gave serious attention to a Mid-Length system as a better compromise on a 20 inch barrel. Then again, that's just my honest opinion.

The quality of the Franklin barrel is fine, but not having a complete upper, I can't speculate on their entire upper. A lot of folks don't appreciate the need to break in AR before drawing conclusions about their performance. Whichever you wind up getting. Given the cost of ammo, spend some time dry cycling it with plenty of lube applied, pausing occasionally to flush it out, re-lube and repeat. As for which I'd recommend over the other, I'd give the edge to the actual Bushmaster, but only in order to get the shorter gas system, however plan on buying a real brake for it.

Hoot

For those asking, what is "Over-Bore" condition? It is when there is Basically, too much powder for a given bore diameter. Example, an
Over-The-Course Match Rifle in say 308win may go 5000rds before one needs to replace the barrel. But, the Marine Corps changes out their 300Win-Mag barrels in 850rds! It can be said that the 300win-mag is in an Over-Bore State and a 22/50BMG will chew up a barrel in one or two shots and it diffidently is in an Over-Bore Condition..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:33 am

If I was doing this for a living, would definitely buy a Franklin upper and a Trident upper and the Remington version too, and put them ALL up against my 20" Bushmaster upper and publish the results. I wished I could afford a rifle in each brand. I wished I could afford ammo to do such a test. But alas, I am just a Joe blow blue collar worker and my income is extremely tight and taxed. And since I work such strange hours, my time on the loading bench right now is hard to come by.
However.
There is a possibility that I may get to test a Franklin Arms and my bushmaster side by side. I can't elaborate right now and I won't be sure until this coming spring.
Patience is appreciated.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 am

ratpack wrote:Wow, and I thought you guys looked pretty smart out there. No need to throw dirt at either one, simply on a fact finding mission. Have a lot to learn before I take major plunge$$$$$$$!

Ratpack, I want to apologize to you for our slow responses. Sometimes, especially at certain times of the year, we all get wrapped up in personal,business, family affairs and there is times when posts get overlooked.
I want to encourage everyone, that if you see a post in the unread posts list that has an issue that needs to be addressed and it seems no one is responding, copy the link and PM it to me. I will try to get the post active by either answering the inquiry, or forwarding it to one of our team who may have more knowledge than I on the subject. Of course, if you feel you feel comfortable responding to their post, by all means feel free to do so!
We don't purposefully ignore our members.
Once again. I apologize.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby ratpack » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:54 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
ratpack wrote:Wow, and I thought you guys looked pretty smart out there. No need to throw dirt at either one, simply on a fact finding mission. Have a lot to learn before I take major plunge$$$$$$$!

Ratpack, I want to apologize to you for our slow responses. Sometimes, especially at certain times of the year, we all get wrapped up in personal,business, family affairs and there is times when posts get overlooked.
I want to encourage everyone, that if you see a post in the unread posts list that has an issue that needs to be addressed and it seems no one is responding, copy the link and PM it to me. I will try to get the post active by either answering the inquiry, or forwarding it to one of our team who may have more knowledge than I on the subject. Of course, if you feel you feel comfortable responding to their post, by all means feel free to do so!
We don't purposefully ignore our members.
Once again. I apologize.

No problem, already learned more than I knew. Yes, "Life happens" and that can get in the way. Figured there would be a weath of info between all of you on this site, as I have not even laid my eyes on a 450 Bushmaster upper or any brand yet. Plan on having one for next deer season though. Currently use an 870 3 inch 12 ga. slug gun and recoil is less fun as the years progress. So for example the Bushy upper's muzzle is threaded so a different brake can be installed fairly simply???

Thank you for your time, everyone, Ratpack
ratpack

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:32 am

Yeah. I do think however that Trident barrels have the muzzle brake machined into the barrel. But even without it, the recoil of thumper is more like a high brass load from a 20 gauge or a 30-30 Win. It's not bad. But with the brake and my Noonan "Recoiless" stock, it's got the felt recoil of less than a light 20 Ga upland load and more like a 7.62X39mm.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:47 am

ratpack wrote:...snip... Currently use an 870 3 inch 12 ga. slug gun and recoil is less fun as the years progress. So for example the Bushy upper's muzzle is threaded so a different brake can be installed fairly simply???

Thank you for your time, everyone, Ratpack

Yes, changing brakes takes about as long as loading up an 11 round magazine.

Years ago, I had a Mossberg 550 (like a 500) with a rifled aftermarket barrel on it. The most miserable gun to shoot that I ever owned, especially when shooting Foster type slugs. Not as bad with sabots but not by much AND that was with 2 3/4 standard loads. First time I shot it after the barrel arrived was to sight in a 2-7 scope I put on at the same time, it split my eyebrow. That having been a rude introduction, I could only stand about 5 consecutive shots before taking the rest of the day off from shooting. I can't imagine shooting 3 inchers! Used it one deer season and sold it to a fellow who hunted in a shotgun only portion of the state. Got a Browning 300 Win Mag which was a pussycat to shoot by comparison. :lol:

Ross Schuler sells a great brake for the 450b, at an incredible price.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Firearms