Range Report COP200 Bullets & LilGun

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Range Report COP200 Bullets & LilGun

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:12 am

Hoot. I've been tinkering with these 200 grainers. Not loading them yet, but I've been looking at the possibility of maybe using your midrange LilGun data with aligning the cannelure to a possible LeGendre side crimp scenario. Also, could this combination be used with a slower burning propellant. From your experience with these 200 grainers, what are your thoughts on using the LSC into that generous cannelure using both LilGun and or 296?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby texrider » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Got a few rounds tested with the COPs. Tried 38gr and 40gr of LilGun. Both sets seated to 2.180 COL, BR4 primers, and crimped to .474. 18"-16 twist Trident barrel.

38gr fps
2472 - Ave 2422
2405 - SD 33.39
err

40gr fps
2547 - Ave 2523
2504 - SD 39.00

The 38gr was definitely a better group, but I do need to get a better set up too. Using a old card table with sand bags right now. Probably close to what Sheepdawg had. Guess its a Texas thing. By the way how is the new set up Dawg?
Last edited by texrider on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
texrider

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 pm

I love the new bench. It also seems that my goats did some sunbathing on it too at some point.... I was able to get my hands on about 100 ft of conveyor belt that's about 3/8" thick and 24" wide. I'm going to cut three 12ft strips and lay them under the bench to eliminate weeds and to make it easier to pick up brass. The rest of the belt is slated for a water jug stand project.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Here's more on my 200Grain COP project.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14544&p=46746#p46746
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:08 am

We had an atypical few days of December weather late last week, culminating in a damp, misty, 48 degrees Sunday next to the ice covered lake at the range. Wanting to put the old vs newer powder lot theory to rest, I finally shot my last experimental loads of the season, it being 3.4 degrees as I write this (More normal). I was able to chrony the loads, but accuracy was so abysmal that I left the targets at the range. They were soaking wet from the mist and given the unusual warm day in December, the range was very busy with other shooters. Didn't want to make everybody stop shooting while I waded through the muck to retrieve them. I'm about to get ready for work, but will publish the velocities later in the day,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby texrider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I love the new bench. It also seems that my goats did some sunbathing on it too at some point.... I was able to get my hands on about 100 ft of conveyor belt that's about 3/8" thick and 24" wide. I'm going to cut three 12ft strips and lay them under the bench to eliminate weeds and to make it easier to pick up brass. The rest of the belt is slated for a water jug stand project.

That belt sounds nice. Sounds like some from a concrete plant that I do maintenance at.
It amazes me that even now with the grass 1/2" or non existent I still have a hard time finding brass. Sometimes I'll park my truck next to where I am shooting and drape a sheet over the side of the bed to catch the brass. Seems like there's always one that can find a good spot to hide.
texrider

Postby texrider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Hoot.
Did you use some of the same loads you had tried before, but accuracy was way different with the new LilGun or were there other factors involved?
texrider

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 am

I hate looking for brass.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 am

texrider wrote:Hoot.
Did you use some of the same loads you had tried before, but accuracy was way different with the new LilGun or were there other factors involved?

I suspect it was as much me as anything. It's been almost two months since I last shot an AR and that's too long for me to stay in form. That and the fact that these bullets are not the most stable from my experience. Certainly not as stable as their Barnes cousins. I was bundled up against the chill and had trouble feeling like I was settled into the bags on many shots. I can't FTP from where I'm at right now, so I can't upload the Excel sheet. For sure this evening. I may stop at the range on the way home and retrieve my targets from the trash can, if it hasn't been emptied into the dumpster yet. Due to them being wet, the bullets tore big holes in them. Perhaps now that they are in all likelihood dry, I can tape them up for better viewing than they looked the other day. The one group of Barnes 200 XPBs didn't look too bad, even wet. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby nickdeannow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I hate looking for brass.

Get a Caldwell brass catcher for $10. I have every single piece of 450 brass I've ever shot. I even strap on the brass catcher when hunting.
nickdeannow

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b