California Pig Hunt

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: California Pig Hunt

Postby wildcatter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Caseknife wrote:Just ordered a BB from Midway, might swap my 450 upper to my R-15 lower, install the BB and go for it, but might not.

Actually, to it. You'll be better for it, make youy way more familar with the weapon and it really easy to do.

Consider the YouTube for show and tell vids on how to do it..

..t

Thordson Customs Ultimate Bullet Button Tool, "Ingenuity Over Tyranny"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI40JdICvtg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CVvMZKTCW8
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Caseknife » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Looks real simple, thanks for the link. My 20 rd modified Pmags should be legal also in that they only hold 7 rounds of 450. Just a little leery with California laws and don't want to get in any legal trouble. I am sure that my 250 gr Barnes will do magic on hogs though.
If guns kill people, then...
Pencils miss spel words
Cars make people drive drunk
Spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat
Caseknife

Postby Ravenslair » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 pm

A bullet button on a non-listed lower receiver as defined by Roberti-Roos and complies with SB 23. Your Bushmaster lower is a no go. Put your upper on your R-15 lower as you noted and install your bullet button. You are good to go. One more caveat, no magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds inserted into the rifle or in your possession (since you are not a resident and cannot therefore claim to have owned them instate prior to the law going into effect in 2000).

Do not affix one of the bullet button tools (semi permanent attachment) that allows the magazine release to be depressed. Actually use a 5.56 round or something similar to depress the bullet button.

Tool:

Ravenslair

Postby Ravenslair » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Caseknife wrote:Looks real simple, thanks for the link. My 20 rd modified Pmags should be legal also in that they only hold 7 rounds of 450. Just a little leery with California laws and don't want to get in any legal trouble. I am sure that my 250 gr Barnes will do magic on hogs though.

Technically you are OK with the modified magazine, but someone could hassle you for it since the PMag is stamped 5.56 and they could argue intent on your part. I would play it safe and bring the factory mag. Just my opinion.
Ravenslair

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:14 pm

All my centerfire AR's wear Raddlock BUttons, no special tool, a small screwdriver is all that is needed to make a few twists to unlock it to a normal button when out of state.
I use Beowulf Magazines which are designed to hold 10 rounds, they work fine for me and stamped 50 Beowulf.

I dont really see a huge reason to need 10 rounds though, 5 should be more than enough, let your adrenaline calm down a bit between reloads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyibsFOQJHU

Rimfires dont need buttons, BTW
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:37 pm

At this point, it appears that CDFW has decided on their own whim to install rules banning lead ammo on all land they control...and...since game wardens are allowed to go onto ANY land, they control ALL land. Hornady and Remington have broken all promises of non lead .450 ammo...so, I'll be mothballing my .450 and going with a different rifle...probably .308...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby m113103 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:40 pm

BK did you contact gary@corbon.com about lead free ammo? :P :D
m113103

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:02 am

BillytheKid wrote:At this point, it appears that CDFW has decided on their own whim to install rules banning lead ammo on all land they control...and...since game wardens are allowed to go onto ANY land, they control ALL land. Hornady and Remington have broken all promises of non lead .450 ammo...so, I'll be mothballing my .450 and going with a different rifle...probably .308...

Time to start rolling your own!!!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:49 am

BillytheKid wrote:At this point, it appears that CDFW has decided on their own whim to install rules banning lead ammo on all land they control...and...since game wardens are allowed to go onto ANY land, they control ALL land. Hornady and Remington have broken all promises of non lead .450 ammo...so, I'll be mothballing my .450 and going with a different rifle...probably .308...

A little discouragement and What?

You can go with a 308 if you want to go into a way worse situation.

What are you going to do if something mean and nasty, charges and you need more than one shot. You're going to die, that's what!

Now, your choices are plentiful. But, you either have to get into reloading or have someone reload them for you.

As I said, at that point you have more bullet choices than the 308 could ever keep up with, and killing comparisons, well, they don't compare!

What I'm trying to say is, why trade a silk purse for a sows ear? Exercise your options. Believe me, the first time you "Have" to use the 450b you're going to thank me. Besides, is there really a problem with DRT (also know as BANG-Flop), something the 308 won't do with a lung shot.

Common Man! We need you, and your experiences, over coming the problem at hand..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to The Trophy Wall