Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Postby kinghale » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 am

that was a strong limb that you went out on! ;) makes sense. i am interested in doing this mod. collecting my supplies as we speak!
kinghale

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:29 am

kinghale wrote:that was a strong limb that you went out on! ;) makes sense. i am interested in doing this mod. collecting my supplies as we speak!

Getting the lead slug the right length is important so that when it is flush with the rear of the carrier, it does not get in the way of the hammer and it's back far enough to allow you to move the firing pin far enough back to allow you to remove the cam pin for BCA disassembly and cleaning. The diameter is not as critical, as long as you can slide it in. The JB Weld makes up the difference.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. The technique I chronicled was just my spin on how to get from point A to B. I'm sure there are many more ways to do it. I did try turning a slug for a member here in my mini-lathe, including laying a thread on the surface for the entire length. That provided a good 3D surface for the JB Weld to adhere to. Same end result as rolling it between coarse sandpaper. Truth be told, it was more work producing the slug on the lathe, what with setup and cleanup. The simple EMT conduit approach and sanding was simpler. Don't worry if when slitting the conduit, you wind up scoring the slug. JB Weld will fill that in as well. Have fun.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Updating -moved my carbine port to rifle length gas porting, after fine tuning the adjustable gas block some more, I am able to run the Carrier mod on my bolt carrier and it cycle the factory ammo just fine, also 50 plinking rounds down the pipe without a malfunction. Actually very gentle recoil compared to the carbine. It handles the "magnum" rounds very well too. I look at the bolt carrier after each outing and no signs of the jb weld cracking or the slug moving.

I get a lot of confused stares at the range when I am talking about a side crimp, lead carrier weights, and extending the port length, let alone the reloading aspects of the 450.
No, its not just another AR :mrgreen:
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:41 am

CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby helidude350 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:48 am

Just curious .....
Has anybody also used a "heavy buffer" along with the ccws?
And has anybody done the ccws on a full auto carrier? ( more metal/weight at the rear)

Maybe a few of us here in the south could have a heads up comparison with our 450b and corvettes ?

There are enough of us local it could happen.
If we document our mods, changes etc we could have quite a bit of research accomplished in a day.

When could we do it?

Dove season is coming up.......
helidude350

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:23 pm

I finally fixed the broken image links in this thread. I lost them when I changed ISP a few years ago. Sorry for those who waited for me to fix them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Kiwi Greg » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm about to make a 450 BM upper for my lower.
I will be using a rifle length gas system & adjustable gas block, as I have with all the uppers I've had made.
I think I have a rifle buffer ? in my lower.
Would there be advantages to adding weight to my bolt carrier ?
If so what are they ?
Sorry for the question but I'm trying to understand all this.
If it is an advantage, I would look at adding it to my other carriers, 22 Grendel, not so much, but maybe the 6, 6.5,30 & 338 BRXs ???
Kiwi Greg

Postby Mort » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:06 am

Although I am no expert, with rifle length gas and an adjustable gas block I would say there would be no advantage to adding weight to your carrier. You may find that you will be able to use an ultra light carrier instead which would really help to smooth out the recoil impulse. Remember that every action has a equal and opposite reaction. Since you will be able to control the force (gas) slamming the carrier back (mass or weight) the lighter the carrier is the less speed or force it will return with. I'm sure some of the guys on here might be able to better explain this but hope this helps a little. Bottom line is I would try the lightest possible components first and them add weight (mass) as necessary for smoothness and reliability.

Mort
Mort

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:29 am

Greg;

Quite often, I swap carriers between different caliber AR 15 uppers. My advice would be to make one CCWS carrier and A/B it against a regular one, in each of your different calibers, if it interests you. Your guns and brass will tell you which way to go. If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies here as much as anywhere else in life.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby m113103 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:55 am

Has anyone tried on of these? http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15rxh.html Would like an opinion before investing in one. :P :P :D
m113103

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles