Primers

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Primers

Postby Cutright » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:24 pm

I know that each gun has a favorite powder, powder charge, bullet, bullet wt, length, etc., but what about primers? Do I they make that big of a difference? I've read that Rem 7.5 is the gold standard for the 450, but the store was out and so was I so I got CCI 450 instead. Also does this group offer a bullet trade? I would like to try some other bullet weights, but I'm too cheap to buy a box of everything. I have 250 Barnes and FTX, and 200FTX, but would like to try some heavyweights and some lightweights
Cutright

Re: Primers

Postby m113103 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:35 pm

They should work ok just the group size might suffer. If you read the posts within you will find that most of the bullet weights have been tried. :D
m113103

Postby Crewcabdad » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:40 am

Just a thought. I have used Fiocchi small rifle primers exclusively in all of the 450 BM reloads I'm assembled to date and cannot complain about the results. However, I can complain about my shooting, but that is a different story. I believe that if consistently use the same brand of non-magnum small rifle primer you can and will develop the most accurate loads for your particular rifle. There are many variables in reloading and from my perspective there is no reason to turn the primer into an unnecessary variable. Note: The reason for stating non-magnum primers is so far I have not seen any published reloading data that calls for a magnum small rifle primer.
Crewcabdad

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:23 pm

I did a primer comparison. It is posted here - http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13526&p=42129&hilit=cci+400#p42129. However, I think that the primer selection has very little to do with performance per se. But if you find one you like, stick with it for more consistent performance.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to Reloading