To crimp,or not to crimp........

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

To crimp,or not to crimp........

Postby kobraken » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:57 pm

I've been working on a subsonic load for a few weeks and getting pretty close to a final load.
So far,I've not found a load that will cycle the action,but that's next on the list.
When we load supersonic we always use the LeGendre crimp with our modified die and have noticed a considerable difference in velocity and accuracy vs uncrimped.
I have been reading not to crimp a subsonic round. That makes no sense to me. I would think the crimp
would be critical to maintain what little velocity a sub round has. Any thoughts? Thanks,Ken
Here piggy,piggy,piggy, I got something for you.
kobraken

Re: To crimp,or not to crimp........

Postby m113103 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:28 am

I haven't read on this forum that anyone has a recipe for a reduced or subsonic load that would reliably function the action. :( There is some info on using Trail Boss powder around here somewhere. :D
m113103

Postby lungingturtle2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:26 am

You might want to contact Kiwi Greg on this forum, he mostly hangs out around the 450 bushmaster bolt action section, he has done some reduced subsonic loads and was working on AR 15 450 bushmaster loads. Good luck.
lungingturtle2

Postby kobraken » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Yeah, I talked to Kiwi Greg several months ago and he got me started on my load process.
He sent me a load that I lost when my old computer crashed,and I haven't gotten back with him.
Here piggy,piggy,piggy, I got something for you.
kobraken

Return to Reloading