Paker Production Match Hunters

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Paker Production Match Hunters

Postby Warrick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:05 am

I am very new to reloading and have a lot of dumb questions and conclusions about the whole process, so bear with me. I was reading Hoots post on here about the three Hornady offerings in .452 and found the mention of the Paker Productions mentioned within that post. The BC of these bullets seem to be outstanding , but state they are designed for 1-20 to 1-28 twist and I have 1-16 twist so will this cause some issues. Also I am using a 110 action Savage bolt so COL is not an issue for feeding , but will a longer COL not work with a standard case length?

With all that rambling said has anyone experimented with these bullets ?
Warrick

Re: Paker Production Match Hunters

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:51 pm

I've shot a few of those sabotless from my 14 twist ML and they shot great. They are on my to try list in my bolt gun this spring.

I did try a few of the 275 ballistic extremes last fall from the bolt gun, cut holes at 110yds, and that barrel is a 16 twist.
Al in Mi

Postby Warrick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info Al. Did you end up with a longer COL than A factory Hornady 250 round ?

I did a lot of searching and found this article http://www.namlhunt.com/mltrajectory.html it is about the Ballistic Supremes and not the Match Hunters it brings a little doubt into the equation, I could not find part 2 of this article that they mentioned so I assume it was never published.
although the BC that this article gives the Parker Productions are generally higher than other bullets of the same weight, I am not sure the price difference would make up for the down range improvement. I guess there is only one way to find out, and that is load some and shoot at long range and see how they perform.
Warrick

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:17 am

yea and I don't recall what it was, but what little I loaded was longer and above book in the 700 by a good bit. Real world test off the bench will show if you have the distances to shoot to.

Eons ago (early 80's) I was always told roundnose bullets were dogs at long range and when a uncle gave me his left over reloading componets there were a box of 30cal Hornady 180gr Spire points and roundnoses. I dug out my trusty ole 300 H&H and loaded both with the same charge, seated to the cannuler, other than a slight diff in POI, both showed same drop at 200yds. 300yds the RN's were approx. 2" lower, 400yds they were approx 4" lower than the SP's. I tried this 3 times over a month and had same results.

Interesting part was the RN's grouped noticeability better past 200yds, so much for being dogs.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading