Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Oooh...sold the patent to Remmy...that is probably "the kiss of death" for that design! Here's the pattern: Develop a product; market the product; product begins to sell; abandon the product. "New Age" business model, I guess. Sorry for the hijack...yet again.

Back to the subject: Hoot's CCWS works just fine in my 20" 450b original carbine system. I did add a UHMW-PE stick-on disk to the "big end" of the buffer, a JP tuned and polished +10% spring, and a polyurethane "little end" bumper tip. Recoil is as smooth as a Sheepdawg's....................counter top......
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby m113103 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:37 am

Just because they bought the rights to the design doesn't mean that they will produce it. :D
m113103

Postby Mort » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:07 am

Commander,
What thickness of adhesive backed UHMW-PE did you use? Sounds like a great idea and I would like to try it. I would also be willing to try either thicker or thinner based on your experience and suggestion.

Mort
Mort

Postby Cutright » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:01 am

I believe that Rem used it in their new ML that burns 4 pellets of Pyrodex. I am unsure of all the facts. This is just what the guy told me. He also said he shot several deer over 500 yds with his bolt .450 BM!
Cutright

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:00 am

Cutright wrote:I believe that Rem used it in their new ML that burns 4 pellets of Pyrodex. I am unsure of all the facts. This is just what the guy told me. He also said he shot several deer over 500 yds with his bolt .450 BM!

Can we move this conversation to the "Wild Tales" sub-forum? :roll:
This thread is stickied because its supposed to be support related to the CCWS.

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:24 am

Sorry about that. I ordered the Tubbs CWS ($40). I read that with a file you can get it to where the upper will open, so I figured I would give it a try. I figured that this would work out cheaper for me do to lack of tools and knowledge!
Cutright

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:00 pm

Mort...sent you a PM about the buffer face disk.

Hey, Hoot-Mon....what do you figure the hold-over was on that 500-yarder?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Cutright wrote:Sorry about that. I ordered the Tubbs CWS ($40). I read that with a file you can get it to where the upper will open, so I figured I would give it a try. I figured that this would work out cheaper for me do to lack of tools and knowledge!

It would seem to me that if you removed the flange, there will be nothing to prevent the carrier weight from going forward. However, you could glue it in place like the process in the original article on the 1st page of this thread. You could still remove the slug. Regarding those slugs. They will be too long also. Grinding and filing the SS one while an arduous task, will pale in difficulty compared to the tungsten one. That stuff is one of the Hardest materials out there. It'll make a fool of a common file. To me, it would be the better of the two slugs as its weight, combined with the insert, will come close to a pure lead slug.

If you can cancel that order, I'll cast and machine a pure lead slug for you to glue in, for the price of postage. If it's too late and you wind up going with the SS slug, so that you can grind/file it down, I will buy the tungsten one from you to help offset the cost of the project. I could use it for a project of my own.

Commander, I'm not ignoring your question. I don't want to discuss ballistics and stopping power in this thread. If you want to start one elsewhere, I'm sure it would garner some participation.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Hoot, if your offer still stands, I would like to take you up on that. I actually posted that before I placed the order, so it had not been processed yet. Please let me know how much to PayPal you and please add some for your time and material. You are too kind and I wouldn't want to ask too much of you. Thanks again
Cutright

Postby Hoot » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Once again, I had to rebuild the image links. Postimage.org changed their server structure, breaking every URL. That's going to happen from time to time as these companies grow.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles