Reliable 450B Magazines

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Reliable 450B Magazines

Postby Avenger10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 am

Here we go again right?

Much has already been said on this forum regarding 450 Bushmaster magazine issues. The list of problems is almost endless, as well as the multitude of Band-Aid solutions. A thorough search might produce a days’ worth of reading. For those looking for a reliable 5 shot hunting magazine, the problems have all been critically addressed and eliminated by BartZ Mfg. BartZ presently has 1500 new 450B magazines in circulation and has not had one complaint. This thread isn’t meant to sell magazines as they are selling fine. I’m taking a moment to let the brotherhood here know you don’t need to endure the frustrations any longer.

For those of you looking for a reliable high capacity 450B magazines, I am afraid you will continue to be frustrated. By virtue of the 450B’s straight case walls you will not be able to get reliable feeding from a banana shape magazine. Magazines bend in proportion to the case wall taper of the round they are designed for. 5.56 mags bend a little because they have a gentle taper. 7.62x39 mags bend a lot because they have a sharper taper. 450B mags are straight because they do not have a taper. A high capacity 450B magazine just isn’t in the geometry.

A word about ASC and Stoner. ASC builds magazines and Stoner sells magazines. ASC builds magazines to customer specifications. It isn’t fair to hold ASC liable for a customer’s weak requirements. When a customer wants to put mags “on sale” as lost leader items to hook you into shopping on their site what do you think they specify when ordering from ASC? ASC builds Bushmaster brand magazines too and we all know what problems we have had over the years with those magazines. ASC builds BartZ Mfg magazines on an entirely different production line and we have never had a single problem with them but I can tell you we have different requirements than the other guys. ASC builds some of the best AR magazines in the world for those companies that specify it. Furthermore, our ASC made 5.56 magazines accept 2.280-2.300” OAL rounds. You don’t get that from the other guys either.

Short rant… it stupefies me how guys can spend upwards of $2k on a rifle/optic combination that they expect to shoot sub MOA and then refuse to pay for two good magazines to feed it…rant over.

Hope this was helpful,

-Barttman
BRENTON USA | LONG-LOAD
www.brentonusa.com
Avenger10

Re: Reliable 450B Magazines

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:08 am

Nice work Bart. Sometimes working with vendors is a royal PIA.

Now, where do we order them from??
Al in Mi

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:11 am

Excellent info, man! This is exactly the kind of thing we need to know about in the asylum here...should clear some of the fog surrounding mags for the Thumper. :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Avenger10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for the kind words Commander... BTW keep your head down as my son is heading your way to start law school in Oklahoma City next week.

Al in Michigan... all you Michigan boyz can find our mags at Jays, Guns Galore, Schupbachs, Not just guns in Mason etc. Check out the dealer search on our website as we have 20 dealers here at home. Most of those guys will ship to you too.

Also, we are ready to go national so any of you can have your favorite local shops contact us to set up dealer accounts. You will see us in Mississippi, Alabama and around the Cincinnati area in another month or two.

A PM has asked about higher capacity mags. We cater to the hunting fraternity and most states only allow 5 round mags for hunting so we prolly won't be working on anything much higher. Having said that we can easily make our 5 into a 7 but that's about it.

-Barttman
BRENTON USA | LONG-LOAD
www.brentonusa.com
Avenger10

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks for the product update...also, tell your son to be sure and bring a lawn chair and a cooler with him to OK if he wants to blend in...the mark of a true local around here is when the tornadoes come roaring through, everyone sits out in their front yard with a beverage to watch what's going past... :o
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:36 pm

I've had my share of AR magazines over the years and the one I liked the most I have never been able to find again. Instead of two halves, spot-welded in the front and rear, it was a one piece, spot-welded just in the rear. It was a single stack and it took rounds with up to 2.34 COL since the front wasn't overlapped, which adds to the thickness. It was also semi-gloss finished, which made it more slippery inside, unlike the matte finished ones we commonly see. That sword cut both ways as it was also slippery on the outside. It came with my Olympic 300 OSSM and unfortunately, it left with that upper when I sold it. There's more to the story than just it's single sheet of steel construction, that added to its worth, but its not relevant to this caliber.

Just reminiscing... :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 1happyguy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm

I was having issues with the metal magazines that I have and read the threads about shortening the spring and the other modifications. I happen to have 2 Thermold 30/45 magazines, the ones that can be extended fro 30 rounds to 45 rounds of 223/5.56. I extended it to the 45 round position and loaded it with 11 rounds, probably could have put more in but I just wanted to see if it would work. I now have a 450 that doesn't jam and fires as fast as I can pull the trigger. The fed angle is perfect and it releases when it should. Went through 100 rounds without a hitch. Thank you for the information that has been posted previously, it really helped.
1happyguy

Postby SGWINK » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:19 am

Taking Notes and reading carefully! :)

Thanks for this thread again Bartmann - where in Southern Michigan are ya located?
SGWINK

Postby PJames » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:38 am

I modified a few 20 round Pmags they hold 7 and feed awesome so far 120 rounds and counting.
"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 am

PJames wrote:I modified a few 20 round Pmags they hold 7 and feed awesome so far 120 rounds and counting.

got pics of your mods?
Al in Mi

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles