5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum new loads!

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum new loads!

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:28 pm

For anyone who has one of these rare birds, the Model 591 and 592 rifles (like me)...Aguila has just come out with three new loadings for the 5mm RRM! Glory, Halleluia! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Aguila had previously issued 30gr. JSP and JHP at 2300fps and 2400fps respectively, in 2009. The original loading was a 38gr JHP Core-Lokt at 2100fps which Remington, naturally, abandoned after a few years. I thought I was dreaming when Aguila re-introduced the 5mm in 2009, so I bought a LOT of both loadings, just in case they decided to follow Remmy's standard marketing lead. Information on their new loadings is linked here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... e-5mm-rrm/

For "those in the know", the 5mm RRM has always been viewed as the best, most accurate modern rimfire round ever developed. On a good day, I can routinely shoot 100-yard, 1/2 MOA, 5-shot groups on paper, and that with a lightweight barrel. Also, its the best and least destructive turkey round I've ever seen, as well. Touch off a 12ga. turkey load at Mr. Tom, and every bird within a quarter-mile radius will hear you. Then, the great pellet-hole search begins on the carcass. No such problem with an easy head or neck shot with the 5mm (at far greater ranges than a shotgun), which will occasionally completely remove the said body parts. The 5mm is no louder than a .22 Mag, and I actually think (without using a sound meter...) it may even be quieter than the .22 Mag. (Sidebar: Why is the .22 Mag such a loud-assed round? You haven't heard loud until you uncork a .22 Mag in a short-barreled revolver!... :shock: ) The 5mm rimfire can also take anything up to coyote, with careful shooting, and the smaller stuff out to 150 yds.

I know the current "hot potatoes" commercially are the various new .17 caliber rimfires, but I've just never been able to bring myself to rely on a pencil-point size slug to do anything other than explode chipmunks.

Since Aguila has shown that they are willing to stick with the 5mm rimfire (unlike its original parent), I'm fairly sure there will be new guns chambered to fire it too. TC has occasionally made special-order Contender barrels since the 2009 re-issue, and Taurus intended to produce a Tracker for it, but never quite got around to it. A reliable supply of ammunition in this caliber should prompt more gun maker interest, I hope.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum new loads!

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:41 pm

5MM RRM HP / HOLLOW POINT – COMING IN 2016
NO. 1B222405
5MM RRM HP / HOLLOW POINT
SO FAST, VARMINTS WILL BE AFRAID TO BLINK.
Our fastest rimfire round, this projectile has a lightning fast muzzle velocity of 2,400 fps. The hollow point delivers a whopping 383 foot-pounds of muzzle energy with deadly results. It was developed for 5mm Rem Mag rifles.

BULLET WEIGHT
GramsGrain 2.91 45
VELOCITY
Muzzle ft/sec 100 yds ft/sec 2,400 1,905 (NOTE: this is the same weight and fps as a .22 Hornet, with a better BC!)
ENERGY
Muzzle ft/lb100 yds ft/lb 383 235
PACKAGING

5MM RRM JHP / JACKETED HOLLOW POINT – COMING IN 2016
NO. 1B222406
5MM RRM JHP / JACKETED HOLLOW POINT
DEADLY. ACCURATE. TWO WORDS VARMINTS HATE TO HEAR.
This accurate, flat shooting 40-grain projectile has a blistering muzzle velocity of 2,300 fps. Upon impact, the jacketed hollow point consistently delivers mushrooms with devastating results. Developed for 5mm Rem Mag rifles, this is the perfect varmint load.

BULLET WEIGHT
GramsGrain 2.59 40
VELOCITY
Muzzle ft/sec 100 yds ft/sec 2,300 1,905
ENERGY
Muzzle ft/lb100 yds ft/lb 383 235
PACKAGING
CaseRounds Per Box 5,000 50

5MM RRM FMJ / FULL METAL JACKET – COMING IN 2016
5MM RRM FMJ / FULL METAL JACKET
PUNCH WITH PRECISION.
This rare specialty bottlenecked round was developed for 5mm Rem Mag rifles, making it perfect for small game and varmint hunting. It has incredible muzzle velocity for incredible impact and effective results.

BULLET WEIGHT
GramsGrain
VELOCITY
Muzzle ft/sec 100 yds ft/sec
ENERGY
Muzzle ft/lb100 yds ft/lb
PACKAGING
CaseRounds Per Box
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:20 am

I almost bought one of those 5mm in the late 70's for a fox gun.
Al in Mi

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

I bought mine new I think in 1975...then spent the better part of twenty years overseas (no hunting...) and when I got back here the ammo was long out of production, thank you so very much, Remington, YET AGAIN!

Aguila's first generation resurrection runs ran out a few months ago, but these new loads are due out any time now, and are exactly what Remington should have done in the first place, if they had not put their corporate heads where the sun don't shine. Remmy seems to have a death wish for their newer products...how many have they put out in the last several years that they completely abandon a year or two later? See also their brilliant decision recently to buy up and then eliminate the entire H&R/NEF enterprises, which were selling every rifle they could produce for decades....WTF? Do they really give a damn about shooting sports, or is all this just a "product" that happens to go bang? On top of it all, one hears from various sources that Remmy is getting out of the components business too. That's why I don't buy anything Remmy that can be avoided.

On a positive note...the 5mm RRM is the best turkey gun I ever used, no pellet pickin' need be done. I'm sure it would be a great fox gun too, could probably take 'yotes within 100 yds. I'll have to give it a try when I get hold of some of the new 45-grainers!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby PRKL8R » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Commander . Are these 5mm loads on the shelves yet? Just got a 591 and would like to try it out, but don't want to pay a buck a shot!
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:08 am

Not yet...Aguila says later this year, sometime. The new 45gr load is equivalent to the standard .22 Hornet load!...should be interesting. There are a couple of forums you should check out regarding the 5mmRRM, listed below. Also, there are now new plastic magazines available for the 591...lack of mags has been a major bugaboo for the 591 for a long time.

For 5mm RRM in particular: http://5mmforums.com/forums/

For varminting in general, but has 5mm info: http://www.varminter.com/forums/forum/1 ... ire-forum/

Have fun! You'll be amazed what the 5mm can do, and it is usually crazy accurate, even with the lightweight barrel.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby PRKL8R » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Commander, thanks for the links. Very informative. You have any thoughts on the 17WSM? Twenty grs. @ 3000ft/sec ,25grs@2600ft/sec and Fed. Win. & now Hornady suppling ammo. Also several manufacturors are making rifles. Even a gas operated auto from Franklin.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:24 pm

For some reason, I seem to have developed a visceral dislike of anything .17 caliber...its one of those "why?" situations. I just don't see the use of anything that tiny, other than for exploding ground squirrels. I'm sure they're fun to shoot, etc., but I just don't seem to understand the reason for something the size of a BB out of a rifle at rimfire velocities...just my prejudice, I guess. Same thing for the .300 BLK..."why?"...its the hot flavor of the month right now, but it was really only intended for and useful for a very specific limited purpose, and people are trying to turn it into the newest Wunder-Kind of the AR platform. I don't get it...

As for the .17WSM...of course, I think they missed an opportunity to rock the rimfire world by going with the .17 and its tiny bullets. I really think they could have struck gold if they had loaded it as a .20 caliber round, and could have then had a wide selection of bullet weights that could be used on a far wider range of game sizes and at amazing velocities. But, again, that's probably just my instinctive dislike for the .17...the .17WSM is probably a good round, but I'm not going to bother to find out, personally. I have all the top-end performance I want or need out my 5mm RRMs....

BTW, you have a PM waiting for you.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby m113103 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Friend of mine has a 17 hmr. Has come to dislike it because when he shoots something with It their is no reaction to hit. When it finally dies and looks at it all the hits were fatal it doesn't have any shocking power. :D :P :P
m113103

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:47 pm

I feel his pain...tell him to look for a 5mm RRM on Gunbroker, or gun shows, etc., if he wants to see a reaction to getting hit...I've had nothing but "Bang-Flop" with the 5mm on everything up through jackrabbits and fox. In fact, I've had two squirrels drop stone-dead out of their trees when I thought I had actually missed them. Both times (attempted head shots) I thought I must have scared them to death with near-misses, but on closer inspection I found that I had just barely grazed their scalps...and down they came! :o

If the 5mm RRM is too exotic for his tastes, the good ol' .22 WMR has come a long way in the last few years, both in regard to ammunition and rifles, with a wide variety of loadings and excellent "launch tubes"...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Next

Return to Firearms