Polymer mag alternative for the 450b from IMI Defense

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Polymer mag alternative for the 450b from IMI Defense

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:56 pm

friends don't usually let friends by promag.

but at $11 if the shipping doesnt kill you its worth an experiment.

here's to hoping their poly stuff is better than their steel .... because my expierences with their steel mags - other than for my rem 7600 anyway - has been pretty dismal.
plant_one

Postby bushmeister » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:55 pm

I ordered the two different brands of 10 rd polymer mags they had in stock. I could care less if I have to pry it out with a screwdriver, as long as it reliably feeds 3 or 4 rounds to hunt with. Shipping was $5 for both...
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Well the Pro Mag was a fail as I couldn't even load more than one round without it binding side to side. The Pmag held 4, but I didn't get a chance to shoot to see if it will feed. I plan to find my black follower and get it to the range next weekend.
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:35 pm

I finally got a chance to shoot the pmag 10 round polymer magazine. It held 4 rounds of the 450. It fed all four reliably and the bolt stayed open when empty. 100% success all three times! :D Makes you wonder why their 30 rd mags don't...
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:35 pm

A quick update on the Pmag 10 round,,, er... 4 round magazine... I left it loaded for a while and it had expanded a little. Barely would fit back in the gun and I had to empty it and reload it to get it to feed. I think it would be fine with the proper follower. I'll dig out one of my followers soon and let you know if it fixes the issue...
bushmeister

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Did you try keeping it loaded with dust cover? Might help.
I think I have a pmag 20 floating around here, I should look for it.
Bmt85

Postby Gtek » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I picked up four PMAG 10 rounders to experiment. Removed entire rail on forward inside edge with sharp wood chisel to flush, .250" radius front edge with sanded in bevel/ramp 45 angle on thin edge. Removed follower and run .500" ball mill down center to deck, left spring alone and they work just fine with four but three is less expanding on lips and ops have been flawless. I have been hunting mine with one in and two more in pockets, if I need more than nine rounds of this to get back to boat I brought the wrong bang stick!
Gtek

Postby bushmeister » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:28 pm

No, I left the magazine with 4 in it for a month or so. It was fine when brand new, but time and pressure seems to have swelled it a little. It still managed to kill a nice 8 pt whitetail and reloaded fine. Just wasn't what it was new. I still haven't found my black follower stash yet..
bushmeister

Postby plant_one » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 pm

bushmeister wrote:No, I left the magazine with 4 in it for a month or so. It was fine when brand new, but time and pressure seems to have swelled it a little. It still managed to kill a nice 8 pt whitetail and reloaded fine. Just wasn't what it was new. I still haven't found my black follower stash yet..

its unlikely that a black follower for a standard GI mag will even fit into a PMAG body - even with those front ribs removed in your modified magazine.

the front of the inside of a pmag is tapered, while GI mags are still square in the front.

hth
plant_one

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles