45 colt collet die?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

45 colt collet die?

Postby PJames » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:59 am

So is this what you guys are using to get a side crimp?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/100074 ... -long-colt
"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Re: 45 colt collet die?

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:14 am

I cut back a 45-70 die,
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:48 am

If you use the Long Colt die, you will have to shim each cartridge with stacked flat washers prior to crimping it but you will not have to cut it down like the Lee 45-70 FCD which has the process documented on the forum. Even if you don't have to cut down the Long Colt die, you will still need to narrow the bite of the collet.

Here's a visual to demonstrate the bite narrowing mod. The dimensions are exaggerated to show the concept:

How much you narrow it depends upon personal preference. It is a delicate dance as you don't want too wide but you don't want it to be too narrow and sharp lest you risk scoring the case (think tubing cutter groove).

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PJames » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks Hoot...yeah I saw the 45-70 die mod the 45 colt looked like a simple mod. Merry Christmas to all.
PJames

Postby pitted bore » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:51 pm

About four years ago I wrote a review and description of the 45 Colt collet die. Here's a link to the thread: Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die

Note that the thread was dormant for a half-year, and then got helpfully resurrected.

A couple of footnotes to that old post:

When I wrote the post, the 45 Colt Collet Crimp die was an uncataloged custom item, with Lee #80337. Since then, they have cataloged it (YAY!), changing the number to Lee #90302. The link to #80337 in the 2013 post now opens the Lee web page for #90302. (It's not a big deal, but the title for that web page is still messed up four years later. It still reads "45 Colt Custom Carbide Factory Crimp Die", but there's no carbide in die # 90302. The Colt Carbide FCD #90865 is an entirely different die.)

Hoot's notes in the post above are correct (of course). The Colt Collet Crimp Die #90302 requires shims (washers) to perform properly, and the jaws of the collet need to be thinned to produce a proper side crimp. I haven't yet thinned mine. I still use it occasionally as described in my later post in August 2013 after the thread was resurrected. I use my modified 45-70 FCD when applying the usual narrow crimp.

My post was written in response to a question by forum member "kozmo", who then helpfully described how he thinned the collet jaws.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby PJames » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Nice to know pitted bore thanks for the info. I saw that post and was looking for it again. Thanks for the link. I think I'll try it soon and see how it works.
PJames

Return to Reloading for the 450b