My 450 build

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: My 450 build

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:57 pm

PJames wrote:...snip... BTW you think the 225gr FTX's will shoot as good in my 1:20 twist? I hope so...snip

As I said. Lately, with so many variations available, not only in twist rate but in barrel length, gas system length, heavy vs pencil barrels, plain bore vs chrome lined vs nitrided, muzzle device or not, etc, the answer is more along the lines of "In all likelihood Yes, but you'll have to test them with your own rig." Here's a useful rule of thumb in any caliber. All else being equal, Faster twist, Slower powder. I've gotten excellent results loading those 225 FTX's over Lil Gun across a wide range of charge weights. Your 4 inch twist rate difference probably isn't going to yield night and day difference in performance, but that is an assumption that warrants experimentation to find what your precise, best recipe(s) is (are). If you pay attention to both reloading and shooting bench consistency, you'll find a charge sweet spot or 2, possibly 3 before running out of acceptable pressure with them. My experience with this caliber has led me to say the following: It loves Remington 7 1/2 primers. It likes Winchester WSR primers also. Anything else and I can't advise you based upon my experience. If something works for me, I never change without some seriously compelling evidence. Whenever I go to Perkins, regardless of the time of day, time of year, who's picking up the tab, whatever, you can safely bet I'm getting the Tremendous 12 meal. It works for me. I've worn the same brand and model of shoe for an eternity. Ditto on my choice of vehicle. I don't like disappointment.

One of the best things about the 225 FTX's is they're the cheapest FTX for this caliber almost by a factor of two. Couple that with pretty reliable accuracy and Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner! Oh yeah, I forgot, Chicken Dinner is on Thursdays. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Wow sweet group Hoot, and thanks for the clarification on the scope scratches. That will be one of those gotcha moments if you dont recognize its happening.
kenn1320

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:58 am

PJames wrote:
Hoot wrote:Nice compact rig and great 100yd group to boot!

Unless I'm misunderstanding what I see, check the clamping torque on your scope rings. The recoil may be causing the scope to drift.

Hoot

Hey Hoot those scratches on the scope was from when I had this scope and base on my AR10. I'll check the clapping of the base to the rail. But I was just testing the new build out. I plan on a 2x7 Leupold LR soon for this 450BM. BTW you think the 225gr FTX's will shoot as good in my 1:20 twist? I hope so. Oh and thank you for the compliments from all about my shooting. Some days are good and some not so much...lol I am not recoil shy so that may help.

Get a FAT wrench and set it for 18-20 inch pounds. that'll give you tight enough for almost any rings and not too tight to worry about stripping out the threads in aluminum. its soo nice to be able to "normalize" all your screw torques on things like optics and such without knowing you're over doing it.

otherwise nice build and great shooting!

hth!
plant_one

Postby Bmt85 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Pjames, nice rig and great grouping! Question for you, is the camo a dip job, cause it looks awesome!
Also, when it comes to feeding problems, the 450bm is going to be the most susceptible out of the big bores (458 Socom and 50 Beowulf) because it has a smaller diameter case. However, it's not a hugely common occurrence, but does happen. Not counting minor tweaking. You want something with feed problems, look into anything based on a 308/6.5x47 case for the ar15. That will get you a lot more feeding issues than 450bm, but they can still get their rifles to run.
Bmt85

Postby PJames » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Bmt85 wrote:Pjames, nice rig and great grouping! Question for you, is the camo a dip job, cause it looks awesome!

Thanks, the camo is not a dip. It's a rattle can job and natural sponge dipped in various colors. Looks better in person than in pictures.
"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:29 am

Camo looks great, wouldnt have guessed it was a DIY.

Looks like your barrel is on sale and free shipping. Did you find a brake, Im struggling to find something that fits that thread.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-450-bushmaster-barrel-prod74657.aspx
kenn1320

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:24 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Camo looks great, wouldnt have guessed it was a DIY.

Looks like your barrel is on sale and free shipping. Did you find a brake, Im struggling to find something that fits that thread.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-450-bushmaster-barrel-prod74657.aspx

If you like the Ross brake, he will thread it to what you want.
Al in Mi

Postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Camo looks great, wouldnt have guessed it was a DIY.

If you like the Ross brake, he will thread it to what you want.

Thanks Al, I wasnt aware of that.
kenn1320

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles