450b AR Style Rifle Picture Thread.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Gryphon Trading LLC 450!

Postby SGWINK » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:46 am

Here's a 5-shot group @100-yards using factory Hornady Custom 250-gr FXT:

.[/quote]
Nice to be able to use those straight walled calibers South of Saginaw now eh? 8-)

I went with my 450 for these reasons:
*Legal to hunt/shoot in southern half of lower Michigan
*Boar hunting in Georgia - I have been blessed to go along with a group of guys as a guest several years that slay pigs by the hundred and bring the meat home to enjoy a wild boar sausage making party with family and friends in Jackson County. There is something just spectacular about the entire thing
*I was not a AR platform enthusiast (more traditional rifle style I like but...) however I was with a few guys who had borrowed the 450 on the pig hunt and I was able to test drive it at the range and on a pig. Never thought twice about going forward. Met up with my current Smith to discuss Ambi options and although at that time a full lefty was not an option he loved the idea of something unique with that respect. So I went FULL BORE (ehem) on the layout being unique. I went with the dipped HD camo on all things except hi-lighted areas like bi pod and handle and magz... Its a one of a kind as a lot are - to me my Baby :lol:
SGWINK

Re: 450b AR Style Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby Michigun » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:19 pm

It sure is SGWINK!

It's nice to have options that don't come with a ton of recoil for younger shooters and recoil sensitive males/females.

Bonus that the 450 is a bit flatter shooting for those of us hunting farm land...although still not as flat shooting as a muzzleloader but a lot less care needed!
Michigun

Postby SGWINK » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:22 pm

8-) Michigun Nice gun too!

I love the muscle behind the round. > At 300 yards + its has the oomph behind them as you contested. Nice!

My last deer this year (Doe) was a gimme at 48 yards. But the rounds exit wound was something to behold. Deer are remarkable animals and can endure and bewilder even on good shots. This one went 50 yards - 5 of those were in the air backwards on slid on its side. :lol:
SGWINK

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Have you seen those military videos where they are using thermal when observing an artillary strike on a single insurgent and it blows them into so many pieces, you can't tell what's artillary shell or body parts? Well. Yeah. That's what happened last night when I had what I thought was a treed bobcat down in my creek bottom last night. The brush was so thick and so there were so many thorn vines that I never got close enough to find any remains but that's what it looked like through my Armasight thermal scope. The treed critter had crawled inside a huge mass of mistletoe so I never did confirm what it was before it got diced and vaporized. But now I'm starting to think I may have killed my first squirrel with the 450 Bushmaster.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby SGWINK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:42 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Have you seen those military videos where they are using thermal when observing an artillary strike on a single insurgent and it blows them into so many pieces, you can't tell what's artillary shell or body parts? Well. Yeah. That's what happened last night when I had what I thought was a treed bobcat down in my creek bottom last night. The brush was so thick and so there were so many thorn vines that I never got close enough to find any remains but that's what it looked like through my Armasight thermal scope. The treed critter had crawled inside a huge mass of mistletoe so I never did confirm what it was before it got diced and vaporized. But now I'm starting to think I may have killed my first squirrel with the 450 Bushmaster.

:lol: spit my coffee out laughing!

I am sure we could dedicate a thread alone on the stories of pulverization and devastation using a 450 on wild game.

While on my last hunt in Georgia for piggies I had two decent female shooters come in right at dusk. No night vision to use, I trusted the familiar known movement of them and the trusted Nikon followed through with the light gathering part of it. Just when most would have said - "I cant tell if I am looking at a head or ass" I got a glimpse of an ear outline and let it fly. 120 yards down range all I could see was a flopping black mass. Walked over to the corn pile to find the fat sow with an entry wound just behind the eye in line with the ear.

Not patting myself on the back for the shot as much as I couldfor winning the Pool I got in. It was the ole' "Closest to the eye - without hitting it" contest = 20 guys at 10 bucks a piece. (We encourage head shots... no tracking and you save the entire pig for meat.)

Here is one nights mess of a good time.

SGWINK

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 am

dam, need a tag along sometime!!!
Al in Mi

Postby SGWINK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:29 pm

Al in Mi wrote:dam, need a tag along sometime!!!

If your interested in Hog hunts in Georgia I do have a contact who does offer hunts with or without accommodations. I am crossing my fingers hoping for the invite this year. :)
SGWINK

Postby bushmeister » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Holy cow! or Pig that is. That's a lot of bacon. That's another plus to shooting a big bore... your center can be a little further away, and still win closest to the eye!
bushmeister

Postby SGWINK » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:48 am

bushmeister wrote:Holy cow! or Pig that is. That's a lot of bacon. That's another plus to shooting a big bore... your center can be a little further away, and still win closest to the eye!

Thanks BMeister!

From Michigan a group of 30 peeps go every year for 9 days.

We are staged at 10 people every 3 days - 10 will come in, and previous 10 peeps will head home. That picture above was one evening only at about 10PM. Some hunt all night - some just a few hours all dependent on what you want to do.

From memory the total pigs last year was 112.

Each night at that location you see in the pic we dress them out, skin them out and quarter. At another make shift processing station a bunch of guys will de-bone, bag and label all at 20 lb bags.

From there they go in a bench freezers (plural) running off of generators.

Total de-boned meat was 2350 lbs. Most of it is made into sausage. Back Straps and loins typical go to those who shot the pigs. Bacon is made by a few guys who have the technique and it was incredible...
SGWINK

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:42 am

We are losing the war on the feral pig population here in Texas. Even with all the liberal laws that allow us to basically hunt pigs with military weapons and helicopters, we're still losing the fight. So are you Texas big hunters out there, you need to contact your legislature and we need to come up with some new ideas.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles