Brass Saver

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Brass Saver

Postby Thom28 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I hate spending time looking for my spent brass after a trip to the range. Especially when snow is covering the ground. I was looking for some type of brass saver/catcher that would work on my Bushmaster 450.
I was talking with a friend who has one of these mounted on his .223 AR. I contacted the company and was assured it would work on my Bushmaster 450 and solve my problem of hunting for the spent 450 brass. I ordered one for the flat top and assured if it did not work I could return it for a full refund.
Received it before Christmas and installed it as directed. I went to the range yesterday and guess what, it caught every spent brass cartridge.
I know it is quite a chunk of change but hey if you don't lose your brass you are saving money.

http://www.3bucc.com/

EDIT: I fixed the link to 3bucc -Hoot
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Re: Brass Saver

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:47 pm

That particular style of catcher has had me almost finding my wallet half a dozen times. I have a UTG velcro wrap around kind that is simple and effective once you do the cut piece of plastic milk bottle mod. There is value in keeping it simple. However, when I'm shooting alot in one session, I clean in between every x number of rounds so that conditions are close to the same from one test lot to the next. The drawback with the UTG type of catcher (sold under a number of brand names), is I like to remove it when cleaning my AR. The time spent getting it positioned just right and the velcro tensioned just right is not bad if you leave it on, but gets tedious if you're removing it frequently. Naturally, when I saw the ones that slide into a mount, it was a eureka moment. Made total sense especially if you buy multiple mounts for each upper and share the bag between them. It does get spendy compared to the $8.99 I paid for the UTG, If you have say 5 different caliber uppers like me that you want to put a dedicated mount on. The bag and additional mounts are going to be up around $100. Of course, you can buy just one and move the one mount around. That would still be a plus if you're going to be cleaning or clearing out a stuck case several times. Hopefully the material that the mount is made from, takes a lot of screwing and unscrewing without the threads go punk. No doubt a spare screw or two is in order as well since gravity is always trying to steal them. Paint those bad boys blaze orange or hot pink! ;)

Anyone care to jump in who's using one of those with real world experience?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:07 am

i dont have that peticular catcher, but i have been using the caldwell one thats very similar for a while now, with multiple calibers. real world results are everything they claim to be. the caldwell one can easily hold 3 mags worth of brass without interfering with the operation of the gun. at 3 mags worth though, you do start to notice the weight hanging off the side of the gun so thats what normally causes me to empty it.

in fact i have a mount for it on every ar upper i own - 223, 204, 300 blk (both of them), 450 bushmaster, and my ar308. i stopped chasing brass a long time ago.

they're a few bucks cheaper to start off at $36 and you can buy extra mounts for your other guns for around $15 each.

http://a.co/0vKr2Gu

plant_one

Postby Thom28 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:01 pm

plant_one wrote:i dont have that peticular catcher, but i have been using the caldwell one thats very similar for a while now, with multiple calibers. real world results are everything they claim to be. the caldwell one can easily hold 3 mags worth of brass without interfering with the operation of the gun. at 3 mags worth though, you do start to notice the weight hanging off the side of the gun so thats what normally causes me to empty it.

in fact i have a mount for it on every ar upper i own - 223, 204, 300 blk (both of them), 450 bushmaster, and my ar308. i stopped chasing brass a long time ago.

they're a few bucks cheaper to start off at $36 and you can buy extra mounts for your other guns for around $15 each.

http://a.co/0vKr2Gu

plant one,
Have you had any problem with the hot cases burning holes in the netting? I was thinking of getting one of those, but after reading some reviews on Midway and Amazon I decided to go with the 3Bucc. There were quite a few reviews that stated they had problems with the netting not standing up to the task.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Postby plant_one » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:05 pm

cant say i have - not so much as a scortch on mine - but then i'm not dumping the brass in fast enough for it to be a problem. with mag dumping going on, or someone with a MG using it, that may well be a valid concern.
Last edited by plant_one on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plant_one

Postby Thom28 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Hoot,
Before I ordered one of these I talked with my friend who has used one for at least 4 years. He has used it on both his .223 and his .308 ARs. He said he has not had one problem since purchasing it. I asked him about spent casing causing any problems with FTF or FTE. He said never. He also switches him mount between rifles. The mount is made of Polymer and has metal inserts that the screws fit in. He said it is as good today as the day he purchased it.
I bought mine and an extra mount for $71.00. Yes, it is a little pricey, but so are the cases and if it helps me save losing cases I figure in time it will more than pay for itself.
When I went to the range, I shot 20 rounds of 450 BM ammo with out emptying the bag and had no problems. In fact, it would have held more empty cases.
Another plus, once it was mounted and in place, it never moved and wa note affected by the recoil. Also, the way it is made, it did not get in the way while shooting. Able to reach magazine ejection button with no problem and able to insert and remove magazine without problems.

Thom

Hoot wrote:That particular style of catcher has had me almost finding my wallet half a dozen times. I have a UTG velcro wrap around kind that is simple and effective once you do the cut piece of plastic milk bottle mod. There is value in keeping it simple. However, when I'm shooting alot in one session, I clean in between every x number of rounds so that conditions are close to the same from one test lot to the next. The drawback with the UTG type of catcher (sold under a number of brand names), is I like to remove it when cleaning my AR. The time spent getting it positioned just right and the velcro tensioned just right is not bad if you leave it on, but gets tedious if you're removing it frequently. Naturally, when I saw the ones that slide into a mount, it was a eureka moment. Made total sense especially if you buy multiple mounts for each upper and share the bag between them. It does get spendy compared to the $8.99 I paid for the UTG, If you have say 5 different caliber uppers like me that you want to put a dedicated mount on. The bag and additional mounts are going to be up around $100. Of course, you can buy just one and move the one mount around. That would still be a plus if you're going to be cleaning or clearing out a stuck case several times. Hopefully the material that the mount is made from, takes a lot of screwing and unscrewing without the threads go punk. No doubt a spare screw or two is in order as well since gravity is always trying to steal them. Paint those bad boys blaze orange or hot pink! ;)

Anyone care to jump in who's using one of those with real world experience?

Hoot
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Postby glock23c » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:09 pm

I have one of the Caldwell brass catchers. When I shoot off the bench I keep the bottom unzipped. The brass will drop straight down on the bench and doesn't fill the bag.
glock23c

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Clever idea! I hadn't thought of that...

'The Caldwell rig works fine. I bought a couple extra rail mounts and just move the bag...IIRC the extra mounts can be had from

http://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwell-ar ... mount.html

They have 23 in stock.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 am

You'se Guy'se just keep inching my hand toward my wallet don't you? :?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Thom28 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 am

Hoot wrote:You'se Guy'se just keep inching my hand toward my wallet don't you? :?

Hoot

Money well Spent!!!!!!!
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles