Tough Izzy Brake

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Tough Izzy Brake

Postby dantheman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:47 pm

The Kickeez recoil pad works great.

The Ross muzzle brake is fantastic.

20" barrel keeps the blast away

The CCWS has the rifle ejecting the brass about 2 feet away. The cases just kinda pop out reliably instead of being ejected into a neighboring county.

I have to shoot the rifle a few more times to decide if I want to build a recoilless stock like Gunny's. The recoil right now very controllable and kicks much less than my 358 Winchester. But my rifle is right around 9lbs scoped so I don't know if I want to add more weight in the form of a recoil reducer in the buttstock. If I choose not to, I'll just fill it with a 2 part urethane foam.

Thanks again for everyone's help, the advice has been great.

Dan
dantheman

Re: Tough Izzy Brake

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 pm

dantheman wrote:The Kickeez recoil pad works great.

The Ross muzzle brake is fantastic.

20" barrel keeps the blast away

The CCWS has the rifle ejecting the brass about 2 feet away. The cases just kinda pop out reliably instead of being ejected into a neighboring county.

I have to shoot the rifle a few more times to decide if I want to build a recoilless stock like Gunny's. The recoil right now very controllable and kicks much less than my 358 Winchester. But my rifle is right around 9lbs scoped so I don't know if I want to add more weight in the form of a recoil reducer in the buttstock. If I choose not to, I'll just fill it with a 2 part urethane foam.

Thanks again for everyone's help, the advice has been great.

Dan

I like my AR rifles to balance right on the magazine, regardless of the stock weight necessary to achieve that. Some barrels weigh more than others. Ask anyone with a 24" 204 Ruger bull barrel upper. Uff Da!

You can make a "shake-weight" A2 stock by removing the foam casting in it and replacing it with Fiberglass reinforced Bondo. That change alone will make it more heavy in the stock. If you think that you may want to try the shake-weight some time in the future, you stick a bees wax camping candle down into the Bondo as soon as you pour it in and let it cure. After its set, you pull out the candle and it leaves a parallel walled cylindrical chamber behind in which you can place a shake-weight, static weight in the form or lead shot or nothing at all for less overall weight. The reason for using a candle is in case it gets stuck too tightly to remove. Just warm the stock and it'll slide out. I went one step further on mine and cast an internally threaded steel pipe down into the Bondo. A screw plug keeps whatever you put in it in place as opposed to Gunny's design which relied upon the trap door to keep whatever you put in, in place. Did the same with my A1 stock, which fit my physique better with a recoil pad on it than an A2 stock. The A2 with recoil pad was a little long for optimum arm angle for me. YMMV.
I've put some odd stuff in hollow stocks before. One of the neatest effects was achieved on a hunch, using 2-part silicone rubber called Oomoo 30. No Lie. They sell for making flexible molds. It's gelatinous composition dispersed the shockwave while adding just the right amount of additional weight. You could thunk the stock and it "doinked" like a ripe water mellon. The guy loves it to this day. :lol:

Some times you gotta think outside the 9 dots.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles