Gryphon 16" Barrel

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Gryphon 16" Barrel

Postby greenbeast95 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Anyone using Gryphon 16" barrel with the midlength gas system? Or any manufacturer's midlength gas system 16" barrel for that matter? My first build was with a rifle length gas system 20" barrel that gave me some short stroke fits in the beginning. So I'm a little concerned with the longer gas system on the shorter barrel. Any shared experience would be much appreciated before I make the purchase! thanks.
greenbeast95

Re: Gryphon 16" Barrel

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Was your 20" a Franklin Armory by chance? Did you shoot only factory ammo through it, or did you also handload? I'm just curious.

I don't have any personal experience with a 16" mid-length gas system, but the consensus around here seems to be it's good to go. I would say it's one of the more popular ones. Quite a few builds with Satern barrels, and that's all they offer. As far as Gryphon goes, I've heard nothing but good things. I'm going to be doing a build sometime soon (18" or 20"), I'm trying to choose between 3 different barrels for it, and they are one of them. For what you want, I would say get there 16" build kit, it comes with a Ross brake!

Other options, Satern (1:20 5R, weird twist muzzle thread, but you have a couple options), BHW (1:18, standard threading available), and Bartz makes complete uppers (no components, I've asked, 1:24, standard threading or target crown) in 16" and 20" both using mid-length gas. I beleive Trident also offers a 17 and something inch barrel with porting (don't know twist rate). So it basically equals a 16" with brake. Oh and the Satern from Brownells is a bull profile, from Saterns website or Obsidian arms it's a mid-weight (semi-bull?) profile.
Last edited by Bmt85 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Postby greenbeast95 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Was your 20" a Franklin Armory by chance? Did you shoot only factory ammo through it, or did you also handload? I'm just curious.

Yes, my 20 is a Franklin. It would short stroke with factory loads and all of my handloads. I contacted them and their response was " 450 has just enough" to cycle with that gas system. Since there was no returning it after I installed it on the upper, I ended up opening the gas port just a touch... Right or wrong its a deer killer now! :D

Thanks for the Response!
greenbeast95

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I heavily edited my post to add more info.

As to the Franklin barrel, could you tell me what hand loads you tried through it? I'm curious cause I really want to play with one of there 20" rifle gas barrels, if they would ever come back in stock! More of an experiment, then trying to build a go-to rig. Do you also know the stock port size and what you opened it to, and how much did it help?
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Bmt85 wrote:I heavily edited my post to add more info.

As to the Franklin barrel, could you tell me what hand loads you tried through it? I'm curious cause I really want to play with one of there 20" rifle gas barrels, if they would ever come back in stock! More of an experiment, then trying to build a go-to rig. Do you also know the stock port size and what you opened it to, and how much did it help?

I had to open up my Franklin 20" 1:24 rifle length gas port to .113" (#33 bit) to get it to reliably cycle a variety of loads. A reliable, unnamed source told me it was some times necessary to go as high as .120 on some of the rigs he worked on. Like my barber always said, "I can always take a little more off but putting it back on gets tricky." Start a little smaller, with the lightest bullet load you foresee using and work up from there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:32 am

the 18" Gryphon my bud has runs flawless and drives tacks, I can't see a problem with their 16"
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:27 am

Hoot wrote:

I had to open up my Franklin 20" 1:24 rifle length gas port to .113" (#33 bit) to get it to reliably cycle a variety of loads. A reliable, unnamed source told me it was some times necessary to go as high as .120 on some of the rigs he worked on. Like my barber always said, "I can always take a little more off but putting it back on gets tricky." Start a little smaller, with the lightest bullet load you foresee using and work up from there.

Hoot

however its nothing an adjustable gas block cant fix if you go too big. just don't get over .125 as that's the choke point on the rest of the gas system and therefore the max any gas port should EVER be drilled to.

like hoot said - start small and work up in very very small increments until you get functionality. when playing gas port sizing games its not hard to go from too little to too much. and if you try to bite too much out at once you increase the risk of a chip at your gas port which is just as bad and can fubar the barrel on you, especailly if the port happens to go through one of the lands (it can shave copper off the jacket and eventually clog your gas system, my first 300 BLK barrel was like that from the factory, so i've got first hand experience)
plant_one

Postby greenbeast95 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm

My reloads were using the 225 ftx and 300 mag bullets. Stock hole size was 100 or 110. I think I went to .125, it has been awhile since I did that. After that I haven't had any reliability issues.

Didn't seem right taking a drill press to new barrel, but after a few BLs it seemed simple enough... :shock:
greenbeast95

Postby greenbeast95 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the information, but I ended up finding a great deal on a factory bushmaster barrel take off. The thing was never even fired. I paired it up with a Bear Creek Arsenal side charge upper. This thing is a beast!
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 12650 times

IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG (52.4 KiB) Viewed 12650 times

IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG (52.92 KiB) Viewed 12650 times
greenbeast95

Return to AR15 Style Rifles