Muzzle Breaks and timing and supressor mounting

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Muzzle Breaks and timing and supressor mounting

Postby Specter23 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:05 pm

m113103 wrote:Instead of adding shims you can trim off the rear of the brake. Hone or stone off a few thousands of an inch at a time until at he torque and position of the brake you want is achieved. :P :P :D :D

This is what I had to end up doing - fortunately I have a really old lathe that made the job reasonably easy, just take a very small amount at a time and remember the difference of timing between hand tight and torqued can be significant.

I ended up getting one of the SiCo 11/16-24 muzzel brakes and an ASR mount for the SiCo Hybrid that I have on the way.
Specter23

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 am

not quite sure how to interoperate these, but my guess is your getting the bearing shim which is .687 ID and .873 OD and pick your thickness.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washe ... z0is4jma6h
Al in Mi

Postby Top_prop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 am

Tried the AAC .338 shim kit... too big. its ID is .750.

The mcmaster shims OD is a bit bigger than I'd like... but they'd probably work... pretty pricey to assemble the various thicknesses I'd need to be able to try and get the timing correct.
Last edited by Top_prop on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands
Top_prop

Postby Top_prop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 am

m113103 wrote:Instead of adding shims you can trim off the rear of the brake. Hone or stone off a few thousands of an inch at a time until at he torque and position of the brake you want is achieved. :P :P :D :D

The issue is that the threads of the barrel are just about 30 thou to proud for the brake to fulley thread on.... or in other words I would have to take metal off of the barrel for this to work as the crown of the barrel is what seats before the mouth of the break engages the shoulder of the threads... (don't want to mess with my barrel if all I need is simple shims like i've used on my .556 and 300 AAC uppers with these sorts of mounts for my suppressors).
Last edited by Top_prop on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands
Top_prop

Postby coyote wacker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 am

For example: A 24 threads per inch thread pitch will make a full revolution in just over .041". So if the brake is positioned 180 degrees off then it needs to rotate .0215" to be in the correct position but I usually cut .003" to .004" less to allow for tightening of the brake
coyote wacker

Postby m113103 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/press/Shim% ... ctions.pdf

Chart gives you degrees per shim thickness. :D
m113103

Postby Top_prop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Top_prop

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Top_prop wrote:These fit perfect: http://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p56/450BMshim

Ding Ding Ding! Give that man a kewpie doll!
Good Find Top_prop. Who's going first?

EDIT: Never mind, I ordered some as positive feedback for the guy making them available to us. Still have my Franklin barrel w/o crush washer to try them on.
BTW, Free Shipping to boot! Will report how it goes.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles