Ruger ranch rifle bullet instability issues??

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger ranch rifle bullet instability issues??

Postby 450whisper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 am

Hi guys,have any of the folks here had any experience running flat nose pistol bullets in the Ruger. I have searched this forum pretty well and can't seem to find any info on it. From what I can gather from this article"http://www.realguns.com/articles/882.htm"the accuracy with flat nosed bullets in nearly non existent with the fast twist barrel in these rifles.
I was hoping to be able to use less expensive 45 colt bullets (jacketed and cast) for pest destruction here in Australia but it sounds a lot like I might be out of luck unless I run them closer to pistol velocities.
I see they seem to work ok in the slower twist ARs but the 1:16 of the rugers causes stability issues apparently.
I have already ordered and paid for the rifle so I hope there might be some experienced people here to offer some advice.
Part 2 of the article with the accuracy issues is in the link above. Part 1 is here http://www.realguns.com/articles/883.htm
Cheers
Brett
450whisper

Re: Ruger ranch rifle bullet instability issues??

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:03 am

Welcome aboard Brett. A famous American once wrote, “Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.”
I've seen enough exceptions to the rule in reloading for this caliber that my advice is to experiment with whatever bullets you like. True that cast boolits don't like hyper velocities, but otherwise, go for it. There are opals in that marl.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Ruger ranch rifle bullet instability issues??

Postby Siringo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Brett --- I have a RAR in 450B and have done some limited load work. Mostly to find a solid WFN lead bullet around 350 grains at a modest velocity. Secondly, to find a soft shooting 45 Colt type lever action load or slightly faster.

With the lead bullets, or any of the flat nose bullets, feeding will be problematic. The flat nose clips the side of the chamber mouth and hangs up from time to time. A profile such as a LFN works much better (go the "Beathtooth Bullets" website). All of the Ruger American Series have sharp edges on the chamber opening, even my '06 and 308. I have pushed a 400 grain LFN out at 1600 fps and it is not pleasant by any means --- even with a brake. I ran out of bullets and really want to have the velocity in the 1200 to 1300 fps range.

As far a a light plinking load, to practice the rifle, using the Hornady 225 grain FXT with 14 grains of Trail Boss works great. Feeds perfectly, just like the factory round. Group size at 100 yards was MOA, however, elevation change versus factory is considerable. If I recall, at least 10 MOA or more. Ideally, the 225 would be a good choice over any of the other pistol bullets. Upping the velocity to 1500 or 1600 would not be punishing. That is the direction I will be heading and trying to find a powder that will allow that. Of course, these loads will not work in an AR.

Accuracy with factory ammo is stellar. I gave up a long time ago trying to beat it. With my rifle --- my first factory group was 0.6 inches.

Have fun. Keep us posted.
Siringo

Return to Bolt Action Rifles