Dented brass

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Dented brass

Postby Cutright » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 am

I was prepping some brass for reloading when I noticed a small mark on some of the cases. It is not on all of them and I was having no problems feeding. Any ideas what this might be and if it might cause future problems. [ [IMG]http://i68.tinypic.
Cutright

Re: Dented brass

Postby Cutright » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am

Cutright

Postby plant_one » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 am

id be more worried about the claw marks on the case heads than those little dings. they'll fire form right back out.

it looks like you either have a nasty burr on your extractor, you're over gassed, or over pressure.

can we get some more details about your firearm & load recipe and see pictures of the top of the case heads? might help us out a bit.

info that may be helpful include (but is not necessarily limited to)
barrel make
gas system length
buffer weight/style (carbine, rifle, h2, etc)
bullet
powder & charge weight
how much crimp
OAL
primer
how many times those brass have been around the block
brand of BCG
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:04 pm

looks like they are hitting the inside lugs of the barrel extension.
Al in Mi

Postby Cutright » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 pm

I am new to the AR and it has been happening from the start with all loads and factory loads, so I thought it was just part of the platform. It is a factory 16" Bushmaster with Hoots' CWS.
Cutright

Postby Cutright » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Here is once fired factory Image
Cutright

Postby Cutright » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Cutright

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 pm

The claw marks are most peculiar. The rough handling in general should have been helped by the CCWS. I would agree with plant_one's assessment and questions about your lower. I've seen similar insults as a result of the rounds being too hard to strip from the mag. If you haven't already done so, consider reducing the amount of spring force in your mag.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 am

Cutright wrote:I am new to the AR and it has been happening from the start with all loads and factory loads, so I thought it was just part of the platform. It is a factory 16" Bushmaster with Hoots' CWS.

as i asked, can we please get a pic of the case head face - i'm thinking you could just have some nasty burs on your extractor claw or like the other folks said, maybe the lugs on the barrel extension - if its doing this with factory loads too, but i'll feel more comfortable making that diagnosis if we can see the flat end too
plant_one

Postby Cutright » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 pm

The case face doesn't show anything, but the marks in the case are the same width as the extractor, so I think you are correct. The upper has had maybe 150 rounds through it, and I have had VERY good accuracy, so I've been afraid to mess with it too much. Thanks for all the input, it is extremely helpful. Image
Cutright

Next

Return to Reloading