450 Brass options?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 450 Brass options?

Postby engineer40 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Unfortunately in MI to whitetail hunt in the lower part of the state, you need a shotgun or a straight walled cartridge with a case length less than 1.8 inches and at least 357 in caliber. (That's why the 450BM is so popular in Michigan). The state penalizes everyone for a few who can't hunt responsibly. 90% of the hunters are sitting in trees shooting towards the ground anyways. But I guess the DNR is scared people will sit on the edge of soy bean fields and launch a 300 Win Mag 500+ yards away if they take the restrictions off what we're allowed to hunt with.

Bolt action rifles in 6.5mm and 30 caliber make up the majority of my humble arsenal. I usually shoot 140's in 6.5 and 215's in 30 caliber. I'm a big fan of great BC's! But unfortunately we're not allowed to hunt with those in my part of the state.

I do however like the 450BM quite a lot in the limited time I've spent with the cartridge so far! :D
engineer40

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am

engineer40 wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:base of a 450B case is .500 vs .475 base of a 45R case, might get a ugly looking step down by the web and might shorten up more than 1.700 when blowing that taper out.

Starline stepped up to the plate for 357 Maxi brass last fall, Jamison might be another option.

I've been saying that Michigan laws are poised for someone to come out with a "357 Super-Duper-Maximum" with a case length of 1.8 inches and brass that is spec'ed to 65K PSI like the 460SW Magnum.

I've done a few hours of research trying to find a suitable parent case that I could trim to 1.8 inches, so that I could talk to someone like PT&G about a reamer... but my efforts so far have been futile.

Edit: I just want to point out that if I ever did come out with this wildcat, I surely would call it the 357 Super Duper Maximum. :D

ummmmmm I'm working on a blown out 204 case as we speak, it will take a .358 bullet, be trimmed 1.800 long, and have no clue what it's gonna be capable of!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby engineer40 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
engineer40 wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:base of a 450B case is .500 vs .475 base of a 45R case, might get a ugly looking step down by the web and might shorten up more than 1.700 when blowing that taper out.

Starline stepped up to the plate for 357 Maxi brass last fall, Jamison might be another option.

I've been saying that Michigan laws are poised for someone to come out with a "357 Super-Duper-Maximum" with a case length of 1.8 inches and brass that is spec'ed to 65K PSI like the 460SW Magnum.

I've done a few hours of research trying to find a suitable parent case that I could trim to 1.8 inches, so that I could talk to someone like PT&G about a reamer... but my efforts so far have been futile.

Edit: I just want to point out that if I ever did come out with this wildcat, I surely would call it the 357 Super Duper Maximum. :D

ummmmmm I'm working on a blown out 204 case as we speak, it will take a .358 bullet, be trimmed 1.800 long, and have no clue what it's gonna be capable of!!!!

Feel free to use the 357 Super Super Maximum name. I won't try to charge you royalties. :D

On a serious note, please post details about it when you feel the time is right. I'd love to know more about it.
engineer40

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:30 am

It was 3rd on the list of my AiMM series, it's on the back burner but gets stirred occasionally!!

did find .223 cylindrical brass at 1.750 long but a bit pricey, just have to decide if blowing out 204 brass for that extra .050 length will be worth it.

I wanted a clip fed gun for GF and kids, so first pick for a rifle was a Ruger American but the mags are gonna take a good bit of modifying for OAL and 180gr rifle bullets, a 783 Remington looks easy enough, haven't picked up a Axis mag yet to see if they are any easier to modify.
Al in Mi

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b