Ruger American 16" threaded barrel (Best scope for the money

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger American 16" threaded barrel (Best scope for the money

Postby Joeruger450 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:34 pm

Just looking for a few pointers on finding a scope. Should I use all steel hardware? And if my barrel is touching the forearm of my stock should I sand it so it floats freely? Thanks
Joeruger450

Re: Ruger American 16" threaded barrel (Best scope for the m

Postby Hoot » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:28 am

Joeruger450 wrote:Just looking for a few pointers on finding a scope. Should I use all steel hardware? And if my barrel is touching the forearm of my stock should I sand it so it floats freely? Thanks

Welcome aboard Joe!

Scope choices vary depending upon what you will be doing most with your rifle. I have two scopes that I swap out on my AR version. A Nikon Monarch 6-24 for load development and a 30mm Japanese Tasco Euroclass 3-12x52 for hunting. I'd venture that if you're going to be woods hunting, any decent 3-9 will do. I bought a Redfield Revolution 3-9 for my dad to replace his old and failing 3-9 Widefield. I liked the sharp, bright image. WRT rings, all my rifles wear blued steel rings and mounts. I will never trust aluminum. I've worked with it too much. All my bolt actions aside from my old FR8 and 03A3 have free floating barrels. One of my other passions is competing in rimfire BR and I can tell you that the barrel touching the stock, even in the slightest way, will affect accuracy. Then again I'm talking pretty precision shooting. While its fun to strive for precision shooting in a 450b, that's not its strength. If I ever lost control of my better judgement and bought a bolt action 450b, I would definitely open up the barrel channel if I discovered that the barrel was touching, but that's me.

Enjoy your new toy.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:17 am

I was a Leupold person for decades...tried out Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10 on several big bores larger the 450 BM....they have held up better than Leupolds 5 years 1000's of round not one return....I was sending 4-6 Leupolds back a year for repairs....
coyote wacker

Postby Siringo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 am

I have 3 Ruger Americans (one in 450) and on all of them the front left side of the forearm contacts or comes close to contacting the barrel. Not much material needs to be removed, but make certain when pressure is put to bear on the forearm from benching, bi-pod or sling use, the stock does not contact the barrel.

My favorite scope has become the Redfield Revolution 2 x 7 with the standard plex. On 2 power, it works well in the woods. The only time I would crank the power up is to identify horns. Although, I am seriously considering changing to a mini-red dot or Trijicon green triangle on the 450.

Rings --- I use the inexpensive Leupold Riflemen aluminum. Have not had an issue YET.
Siringo

Postby Joeruger450 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 am

My field corner to corner is 304yds. So I'd need something decent I'm not saying I'd ever shoot that far but maybe
Joeruger450

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Randys had 3-9 Leo's with a CDS dial. Buddy tried it out and, 100 and 200 was dead on, never tried 300.

Dunno what all Leo has for CDS scopes, but if you needed more power, I'd imagine they have something.
Al in Mi

Postby rb288 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:16 pm

I use a Vortex 1-6x24 Strike Eagle on my Ruger American 450bm.
It works great and this thing is moa at 100 yds.
Sorry, forget your 2nd question....
yes, I sanded down my barrel channel about 1/8 inch on the left side to make sure I had a totally clear, free floating barrel.
It was really close on that left side when I got it.

I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
rb288

Postby Stockman204 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Joeruger450 wrote:Just looking for a few pointers on finding a scope. Should I use all steel hardware? And if my barrel is touching the forearm of my stock should I sand it so it floats freely? Thanks

I picked up a Leupold 3-9x40 for $200 from OpticsPlanet last week. Might be interesting to you.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vari-x-i-3-9x40mm-rifle-scope-with-matte-black-finish-and-duplex-reticle.html
Be safe out there and keep your powder dry.

Ruger American
Ranch Rifle in .450 Bushmaster
Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm

Dillon RL450
Hornady Die Set
Stockman204

Return to Bolt Action Rifles