Ammo Availability Thread.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Ammo Availability Thread.

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:24 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Check the date of manufacture on the Greenies...the first year's batch (I think it was 2012) had miscellaneous case mouth crimps, ranging from slightly expanded, to straight-ahead no crimp, to approximately correct crimp (.474) in roughly equal proportions. For the 2013 runs, and later, they seem to have heard the criticism and seem to have consistently crimped things correctly, at least as far as I can tell. I'll launch a box or two from later runs and try to post the results one of these days.

I have to completely disagree with you on this. I purchased 200rds in 2015, when they were on sale at Midway. Shot through half of it before reloading, so I never really checked them. However, I know that just from shipping I had more then a few change OAL's. Since I started reloading for this cartridge, I went through what I had left (about 100rds) and found the crimps and OAL's were abissmal! I found quite a few that I could actually pull, push, and turn the bullet by hand!

Out of the 200 rds I ordered, I think I received 6 different lots. Only one lot shot better than decent, actually it was exceptional, however I only received one box from that lot and it was long gone before I started checking them. I went through all my Remington, adjusted OAL, put a heavy taper crimp, and put varying height stab crimps in. A couple had such a heavy taper crimp the factory, that they still wouldn't hold, so I pulled and scraped everything. I have yet to shoot any of them, but should prove to be an improvement over what I started with.
Bmt85

Postby dantheman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 pm

I've experience loose bullets from Hornady too. The first box I bought at a gun show. I kept the those two or three round aside and plan on adjusting the length and re-crimping.

Dan
dantheman

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:48 pm

I had some hope at the time of posting, but since you mentioned it, I just went out to the shop and looked through some later lots from Big Green, and I too noticed that the OALs are all over the place again...I'm also betting the crimps are loose like you said...their machines can't be so far off on seating depth, I would think. I really don't like having to rework their ammo to get some sort of consistency, especially with a caliber that is critically dependent on a tight, consistent crimp to function reliably. I'm going to random sample some Hornady also...who knows?

Remmy claims to be shipping some Hog Hammer 275gr TSX loads in Q2 2017 (that they actually promised a couple years ago but never got around to)...maybe they can get the case mouth into the crimping groove in the TSXs for that load...?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:33 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Remmy claims to be shipping some Hog Hammer 275gr TSX loads in Q2 2017 (that they actually promised a couple years ago but never got around to)...maybe they can get the case mouth into the crimping groove in the TSXs for that load...?

...if it's a California certified non lead round, I'd be interested in purchasing...otherwise it's just another reason to tell all of my California friends not to buy a .450 Bushmaster...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Well, its supposed to be loaded with a 275gr Barnes TSX all-copper boolit...I would hope the People's Republik of Kalifornia can't find lead in pure copper...?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby commander faschisto » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 am

XCaliber has come out with another new factory loading for the 450b, with a 240gr Hornady XTP Magnum boolit:

http://xcaliberammo.com/450-bushmaster- ... tp-magnum/
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby commander faschisto » Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 am

Ammo Liquidator website has black-box 450b for $21.43 per 20.

https://ammoliquidator.com/hornady-8224 ... ounds.html
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby commander faschisto » Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm

I emailed XCaliber Ammo about not seeing their 225gr FTX load for the 450b on their website...?...no answer yet.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 01, 2017 6:56 pm

I won't EVER buy another product from Remington. Period. They have become a den of thieves.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby mcb » Tue May 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Why? I just bought my 450 BM Bushmaster upper a couple weeks ago and a Remington RM380 a few months ago without issue. I have not shot my 450BM yet but it seems pretty good.
mcb

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles