Primers

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Primers

Postby mcb » Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks guys, I have three different bullets loaded and ready for testing (when I get my scope mounted and a free weekend) In all three cases I have backed off max and loaded three incrementally heavier powder charges under each bullet type. In all three cases my max load is still 1-2 grains below Max recommended. I will chrono these loads and use that data and Quickloads as a guide to approach my desired velocity.

For plinking I am hopefully I can get some Precision Delta 230gr FMJ shooting decent enough to ring some 8 and 10 inch steel plates at 150 maybe 200 yards

For hunting I really do like heavy for caliber/cartridge bullets, hence my attempts to use the 300gr XTP/MAG in 450BM. I have used the 300gr XTP/MAG before combine with a sabot in my muzzle loader for deer hunting with good results. So if they don't shoot well in my 450BM I will use them up in my muzzle loader. Can you guys suggest some other heavy >240gr bullet to try in 450BM?
mcb

Postby plant_one » Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 am

for me, without getting my notes out, i want to say the 300 xtp had an accuracy fallout above 1800 fps. at 2k they were all over the place. i felt a rangerat with a non-scoped AK shooting tula ammo happy to get them on the same sheet of paper lol

but quite honestly at 1800 they're more than fast enough to do some serious damage!

Hoot wrote:
You should feel how those resized .458, 325 gr FTX's make an AR twist and shout, if you think those 300's do. I had them up to 2k fps with the primers just starting to get some flat to them, though no where close to "flattened" and Newton's ghost was standing in the shadows cheering! Too bad I ran out of the bullets before I saw case head growth above +.005 as there was room left for a few more ladder steps.

I really should get that Range Report done. They were the first heavyweights I ever saw good accuracy from in my 1:24 450b. 1680 over Rem 7 1/2's. Taper crimped into cannelure. Good match up, but in all honesty, they were a lot of work to make, compared to out-of-the-box bullets. Sooty as all get out, which told me they were slow getting up to pressure. Probably would have benefited velocity-wise with a stab crimp, but the accuracy was good and my brass were not scarred for life.

Hoot

i'm betting they had some unf behind them! probably enough to significantly change the perception of an AR for the average joe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Bmt85 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:30 pm

mcb wrote:Thanks guys, I have three different bullets loaded and ready for testing (when I get my scope mounted and a free weekend) In all three cases I have backed off max and loaded three incrementally heavier powder charges under each bullet type. In all three cases my max load is still 1-2 grains below Max recommended. I will chrono these loads and use that data and Quickloads as a guide to approach my desired velocity.

For plinking I am hopefully I can get some Precision Delta 230gr FMJ shooting decent enough to ring some 8 and 10 inch steel plates at 150 maybe 200 yards

For hunting I really do like heavy for caliber/cartridge bullets, hence my attempts to use the 300gr XTP/MAG in 450BM. I have used the 300gr XTP/MAG before combine with a sabot in my muzzle loader for deer hunting with good results. So if they don't shoot well in my 450BM I will use them up in my muzzle loader. Can you guys suggest some other heavy >240gr bullet to try in 450BM?

Barnes 275gr XPB and TSX have had great results. XPB has a minimum velocity of 1400fps, and the TSX has a minimum of 1200fps. Some resized .458 will work, just have to know what speed range they are made for. I believe the Speer 300gr soft point will work and I know a few have played with the 350gr Interlock (flat nose). Hoot also mentioned the 325gr ftx.

With that said, you don't really need that heavy for deer hunting. Barnes 200gr XPB has shown to be effective. If I can ever find time to do load work up, I will be trying the 135gr Lehigh Extreme Defender. Light or heavy, you have a lot of options, so choose whatever makes you happy.
Bmt85

Postby Cryptoman » Fri May 05, 2017 9:06 am

Bmt85 wrote: If I can ever find time to do load work up, I will be trying the 135gr Lehigh Extreme Defender. Light or heavy, you have a lot of options, so choose whatever makes you happy.

Any idea what the ballistic coefficient on those is? I can't seem to find that data anywhere. It would be fun working up loads on a bullet that light. Should be able to hit close to 3500 fps in a bolt gun.
Cryptoman

Postby Bmt85 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

Honestly have no idea what the b.c. is, but if I had to take an educated guess .11-.12 .

Haven't seen the bullet tested yet, so this will be my opinion. 3500fps may be possible in a bolt gun, but you might be nuking brass in one or two firings. Another thing you have to consider is twist rate. Running the 135gr Lehigh at 3000fps in a 1:24 twist barrel gives you a stability factor of about 4.5, same speed but 1:16 twist gives you about a 10.0 factor. This bullet might do ok in a 1:16, but I have a feeling accuracy is going to be pretty bad with a stability factor that high. Though, that's my opinion.
Bmt85

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b