Suggestions on quietening a handguard

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Suggestions on quietening a handguard

Postby LynnX » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:19 am

Hello, I have a 16" Bushmaster Upper with the Round Free Float Handguard.
I use this firearm for stalking in very thick bush. The handguard will give a ring when brush hits it. I'm sure duct or electrical tape would help the ring, but
wanted a idea a little nicer, any ideas ?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Lynn
LynnX

Re: Suggestions on quietening a handguard

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:03 am

LynnX wrote:Hello, I have a 16" Bushmaster Upper with the Round Free Float Handguard.
I use this firearm for stalking in very thick bush. The handguard will give a ring when brush hits it. I'm sure duct or electrical tape would help the ring, but
wanted a idea a little nicer, any ideas ?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Lynn

Welcome aboard Lynn!
Some folks stretch a bicycle tire inner tube over the handguard. Some buy an air rifle bottle cover and do the same. In the case of the latter, they're usually neoprene and available in many colors including camo. Google air rifle bottle cover. Check the specs to make sure you get the correct length. Bicycle tubes are obviously cut to fit.

Hoot

Examples:

In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby LynnX » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:27 am

awesome ! Thanks
LynnX

Postby LynnX » Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Update: a 26x1.75/2.125 bicycle inner tube will fit over the factory Bushmaster upper round handguard, quietens it down very good.
LynnX

Postby Hoot » Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 pm

LynnX wrote:Update: a 26x1.75/2.125 bicycle inner tube will fit over the factory Bushmaster upper round handguard, quietens it down very good.

Bet the deer can smell that rubber a half mile away. :D J/K
Simple solutions are the most rewarding. Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the hunting gear in case your shots start falling low. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Google 3M Cold Shrink. Very cool rubber sleeve. Usually used to weatherproof antenna connections up on a tower. Gets thick when it shrinks, like 3/16-1/4 inch thick. Deadens sound amazingly. Also good for de-resonating barrels, but that's another story. Hell to get off as the only way is to score it with an xacto knife and split it along the score, with a lot of effort.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Buckeye45 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Rubberized undercoating in a spray can works great. Can do in and outside masking off what you don't want covered. If you want thicker add another coat. I've used this on a few hand guards and rifle stocks to improve grip.
Buckeye45

Postby LynnX » Wed May 10, 2017 6:07 am

Hoot wrote:
LynnX wrote:Update: a 26x1.75/2.125 bicycle inner tube will fit over the factory Bushmaster upper round handguard, quietens it down very good.

Bet the deer can smell that rubber a half mile away. :D J/K
Simple solutions are the most rewarding. Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the hunting gear in case your shots start falling low. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Google 3M Cold Shrink. Very cool rubber sleeve. Usually used to weatherproof antenna connections up on a tower. Gets thick when it shrinks, like 3/16-1/4 inch thick. Deadens sound amazingly. Also good for de-resonating barrels, but that's another story. Hell to get off as the only way is to score it with an xacto knife and split it along the score, with a lot of effort.

Hoot

:lol: :lol: :lol:
LynnX

Postby PJames » Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 am

Plasti dip in a can....your welcome ;)
"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Postby bushmeister » Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I bought a neoprene co2 canister cover for a paintball gun off of ebay and have been using it for several years. fits like a glove and not only does it reduce noise, but it keeps the hands warm compared to that metal heat sink. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOODLAND-CAMO-N ... SwMmBV36pt
bushmeister

Return to AR15 Style Rifles