Lil Gun Powder Prices.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lil Gun Powder Prices.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 14, 2017 4:47 pm

So I've found a place who has 3 four pound jugs of LilGun for around $103.00 per 4# Jug.
Is that pretty good for what you guys are buying powder for?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Lil Gun Powder Prices.

Postby mcb » Sun May 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Seems like a fair price but not a deal. A few weeks ago I paid $26 for a 1 pound bottle at the local Cabelas.
mcb

Postby Seedyn » Thu May 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Just picked up an 8# for $149.75 from a small local gun shop
Seedyn

Postby Hoot » Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 am

This probably doesn't bear saying but always check the date code on your powders. I bought what looked like a brand spanking new 4# jug of Lil Gun, only to discover it was something like 11 years old. That was before I learned from the locals that the particular ma & pa store I got it from is known to buy people's unopened powder and resell it. That was the last time they will get my business. Of course, I didn't notice until I took it home, opened it and it had a slightly sour milk smell to it. :x

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby drt4lfe » Fri May 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Powder in my area probably averages 25 a pound......Retumbo and a few others 28-30......
drt4lfe

Postby Seedyn » Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Good point from Hoot on checking dates. Maybe I am being sensitive :shock: but the small gun shop I buy from happens to cater to the handloaders in our area and has always had fresh new powder and probably sells ten times more than our poorly stocked Cabelas, always at a significantly lower price, even during the dark Obama days.

Just a reminder that sometimes supporting the smaller locals is a good thing.

BTW: My recent powder purchase is dated to April 2016.
Seedyn

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 20, 2017 7:52 am

Hoot wrote:This probably doesn't bear saying but always check the date code on your powders. I bought what looked like a brand spanking new 4# jug of Lil Gun, only to discover it was something like 11 years old. That was before I learned from the locals that the particular ma & pa store I got it from is known to buy people's unopened powder and resell it. That was the last time they will get my business. Of course, I didn't notice until I took it home, opened it and it had a slightly sour milk smell to it. :x

Hoot

How do you decipher the date and Lot number, Hoot? For those of us in Rio Linda.... :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 20, 2017 7:54 am

Seedyn wrote:Good point from Hoot on checking dates. Maybe I am being sensitive :shock: but the small gun shop I buy from happens to cater to the handloaders in our area and has always had fresh new powder and probably sells ten times more than our poorly stocked Cabelas, always at a significantly lower price, even during the dark Obama days.

Yes!! This is a good point too! The shop where I found this powder is a small town shop but I'm here to tell you, they've got more decent inventory than you could imagine. Those of you who watch my YouTube channel, you're going to get a glimpse of the shop in one of my next videos. I love this shop and it's in my dads home town. It's a quaint little Texas town that popped up when the Overland Stage passed through the area back in the 1870s. The Main Street still looks like it did back in the 1950s and the stores and shops are mostly still in business. When you go into this gun shop you pass through antique furniture for sale and there's a display of vintage late 1800s firearms for sale. Some functional. Some not so much. I saw a few old muzzle loading pistols in the display that would date back to the 1860s. Anyway. As you walk to the back of the store, where the good stuff is, you'll notice the floors are original. Anyway, you'll see what I mean. The video may be a bit longer than usual but it's a video about my family and the finding of a piece of my families history in an old antique shop.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Thom28 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Seedyn wrote:Good point from Hoot on checking dates. Maybe I am being sensitive :shock: but the small gun shop I buy from happens to cater to the handloaders in our area and has always had fresh new powder and probably sells ten times more than our poorly stocked Cabelas, always at a significantly lower price, even during the dark Obama days.

Yes!! This is a good point too! The shop where I found this powder is a small town shop but I'm here to tell you, they've got more decent inventory than you could imagine. Those of you who watch my YouTube channel, you're going to get a glimpse of the shop in one of my next videos. I love this shop and it's in my dads home town. It's a quaint little Texas town that popped up when the Overland Stage passed through the area back in the 1870s. The Main Street still looks like it did back in the 1950s and the stores and shops are mostly still in business. When you go into this gun shop you pass through antique furniture for sale and there's a display of vintage late 1800s firearms for sale. Some functional. Some not so much. I saw a few old muzzle loading pistols in the display that would date back to the 1860s. Anyway. As you walk to the back of the store, where the good stuff is, you'll notice the floors are original. Anyway, you'll see what I mean. The video may be a bit longer than usual but it's a video about my family and the finding of a piece of my families history in an old antique shop.

Let us know when you post the video. It sounds interesting.
Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Thom28 wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

Let us know when you post the video. It sounds interesting.
Thom

Video is up now.
Here's the link.
https://youtu.be/VPtXFKlvLT8
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b