1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help.

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 pm

For some reason the mini pic loader won't work for me. It's catching in the meplate and won't feed in the chamber. It's dinged all over the front flat blunt from catching. Guess I'll have to stick with pointed bullets to get it to feed. I already pulled them all. Game over. I will have to look and see if anyone make a rounder tipped cast mold.
Tripplebeards

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm going to load my hornady FTX 250g in these casings. Do u have to size them again before seating the replacement bullets?
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Tripplebeards wrote:I'm going to load my hornady FTX 250g in these casings. Do u have to size them again before seating the replacement bullets?

I would resize to get neck tension back.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
Tripplebeards wrote:I'm going to load my hornady FTX 250g in these casings. Do u have to size them again before seating the replacement bullets?

I would resize to get neck tension back.

Unfortunately, been there, done that.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Tripplebeards wrote:I'm going to load my hornady FTX 250g in these casings...snip

Forgot to mention that with the 250 FTX, taper crimp them to .476 since they're smooth sided. Start with 37gr H110/W296 over Rem 7 1/2's at 2.26 COL and work up from there.

There's got to be a 300gr LRN mold out there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I already pulled them but I wonder if I seated them deeper if they would have fed?

I just resized them. I measured the first five and the brass didn't grow so I didn't have to retrim. Flared them out for bullet starting and time for bed. I'm ready to start fresh again.
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:17 am

Tom at Accurate Molds might have something or will make you one. He's designed 4-5 for me over the years.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=13 pg 14 has some heavies

I never paid atten to the insides of a RAR, does it have a feedramp to the barrel or rely on the mag to line the chamber up?
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:24 am

Later today I might make other dummy round and shorten by seating it to the top crimp and see if it feeds. Guess I should have did that yesterday( with a test round before I loaded all those, never figured it wouldn't feed,lesson learned) but never gave it a thought. Probobaby still won't work but going to bug me till I try.

Weird, my 77/44 feeds lee .430 300g just fine but they are loaded to the top crimp groove making me think I have to try loading shorter for the bushmaster one more time since I already have enough time invested.

This the front of the bullet after I tried to chamber it serveral times. You can see all the dents where it was catching.
I did watch a guy on YouTube take the magazine apart and wind the spring tighter with a Ruger American that had feeding issues.

Tripplebeards

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:11 am

Tripplebeards wrote:Later today I might make other dummy round and shorten by seating it to the top crimp and see if it feeds. Guess I should have did that yesterday( with a test round before I loaded all those, never figured it wouldn't feed,lesson learned) but never gave it a thought. Probobaby still won't work but going to bug me till I try.

Weird, my 77/44 feeds lee .430 300g just fine but they are loaded to the top crimp groove making me think I have to try loading shorter for the bushmaster one more time since I already have enough time invested.

This the front of the bullet after I tried to chamber it serveral times. You can see all the dents where it was catching.
I did watch a guy on YouTube take the magazine apart and wind the spring tighter with a Ruger American that had feeding issues.

Do they all hit the same spot when cycling the bolt? Picture of one jammed up as up as it is cycling, in the action would have helped. Kind of a moot point now. My rule of thumb with my bolt actions has been if they jam against the top of the chamber, then less spring and if they hit the bottom, more spring. Easier fix is to use a different bullet.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Tripplebeards » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Looked like the top
Tripplebeards

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b