Safe Dehumidifers

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Safe Dehumidifers

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:48 am

got a new Browning safe awhile back and looking at dehumidifiers now. Had a Golden Rod in my first safe but see some silica style ones now, either brand, style, better than the others?
Al in Mi

Re: Safe Dehumidifers

Postby plant_one » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 am

have used several various silica over the years, but intend to switch to goldenrods in the future.

silica works good, but you have to be on top of it as it has a finite capacity for adsorption before you need to recharge or replace them. goldenrods work pretty much indefinitely as long as they're plugged in.
plant_one

Postby Thom28 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:38 pm

I have to agree with plant one. I used silica in my first safe and it worked excellent at first but lost it's effectiveness in a short period of time. That is when I started using golden rod dehumidifiers and haven't looked back. They do an excellent job.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby plant_one » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:53 pm

I just remembered as well - if anyone is familiar with ze-rust (and how expensive the stupid little plastic strips are) about using this stuff too

http://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-x-72-i ... /206447615

being that its toolbox roll liner, its reasonably cheap ($10 for 6 sq foot) and in a safe like environment should dump plenty of vapor.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm

The key to electric powered safe dehumidifiers is having the interior of the safe warmer than the ambient air outside of it. That's why your house gets dry when the furnace runs in the winter.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:36 am

thanks for the inputs, I ordered a Peet Safekeeping along with a Eva-Dry mini to try. This safe is in the basement and even with dehumidifiers running it's hard to keep it at 60% during the summer here. I'll pick up a small hygrometer to put in there to see how everything works.

also ordered a LED lighting kit, see how that pans out.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:11 am

Hoot wrote:The key to electric powered safe dehumidifiers is having the interior of the safe warmer than the ambient air outside of it. That's why your house gets dry when the furnace runs in the winter.

Hoot

Inaccurate Anecdote!

I had that wrong. The warmer air gets the more humidity it can hold, but the less dense it becomes. Its the density drop that protects you firearms. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:04 pm

I strongly suggest the zerust stuff.... my tool kits are saved by it - I work around water all the time, and without it my wrenches (rachet style) and my rachets would be FUBAR... not to mention my other stuff.

with the little air exchange a safe gets, if a single strip of the zerust stuff will keep a shelf of tools rust free in yoru cabinet... a $10 roll in the safe has got to help!
plant_one

Return to Off Topic