New Hodgdon CFE Black Powder

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

New Hodgdon CFE Black Powder

Postby Chris P Bacon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 pm

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1478216481xzkt9syxa6x

A new Spherical powder specifically formulated for the .300 AAC Blackout cartridge. Should be available Jan 2017

This new powder provides full function of AR-type rifles throughout the range of bullet weights, and is perfect for those subsonic reduced loads. In addition to being the perfect solution for the .300 Blackout, it performs beautifully in many smaller capacity cartridges, in particular, varmint cartridges such as the .17 Hornet, .17 Ackley Hornet, .218 Bee, .221 Fireball and many more. It also yields top performance in the 6.8 Remington SPC and the 7.62X39 MM Russian cartridge. This fine powder meters like a dream and leaves no copper residue, extending accuracy for longer shooting periods, and making clean-up quick and easy.

Chris P Bacon

Re: New Hodgdon CFE Black Powder

Postby plant_one » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:37 am

looks promising. hope to test it out when it hits the market.

wonder where it ends up on the burn rate chart compared to other powders. if its geared towards subs specifally its gotta be somewhere around 4227 -1680 and produces enough gas.

what i'm truly curious is to see the MSDS to see who's making it for them :D
plant_one

Postby Chris P Bacon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:39 pm

burn rate
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202015-2016.pdf
ranks 69 (on the chart linked above), basically right in line with what you suspected, plant_one.

MSDS
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/MSDS%20Files/Smokeless/Hodgdon/Spherical%20Powders/All%20Hodgdon%20Spherical%20Powders_02-11-14.pdf

13 loads (ATM) on their rifle loading page for the 300 AAC, in various bullet weights
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

it's starting to trickle down to the vendors finally
Chris P Bacon

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Chris P Bacon wrote:burn rate
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202015-2016.pdf
ranks 69 (on the chart linked above), basically right in line with what you suspected, plant_one.

MSDS
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/MSDS%20Files/Smokeless/Hodgdon/Spherical%20Powders/All%20Hodgdon%20Spherical%20Powders_02-11-14.pdf

13 loads (ATM) on their rifle loading page for the 300 AAC, in various bullet weights
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

it's starting to trickle down to the vendors finally

That probably means that it would be good for my 7.62x40WT also.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm

theres likely no reason thta wouldnt run great in a WT.

theres a few guys over on the BO forum who have started testing it, but its still realitvely new (and somewhat hard to find, although not quite Unobtanium), so real world data is still fairly scarce.

i dont plan to switch over anytime soon, as i've got a fairly good stash of D0-63 and few pounds of 1680 as well.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 pm

The local reloading shop had some so I picked up a pound to play with. With all the cards on my table, waiting for spring, can't say when I'll get around to testing it though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby drt4lfe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:41 pm

I have used it in a 10.5 AR in 300 and it runs great....have used it for 150,165,208 and 245 bullets.....there is a guy on youtube who has some good info and videos on CFE Black.....Missouri Bullet Company makes a specific 245 grain cast bullet for subsonic velocities.....they are a little finicky on overall length, or they were for me anyway....had a few that would lockup on feed ramp....it's a semi flat pointed bullet which should be way better in a bolt gun....
drt4lfe

Postby plant_one » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Hoot wrote:The local reloading shop had some so I picked up a pound to play with. With all the cards on my table, waiting for spring, can't say when I'll get around to testing it though.

Hoot

did you ever have a chance to test it on your WT?

on the blk forums I saw people saying it gets fussy with load density, but seems to be happy very close to 100% case fill (ES/SD * pressure wise).

would love to see some input from other sourcing in another caliber like your WT or even the 450 :)
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:08 am

plant_one wrote:
Hoot wrote:The local reloading shop had some so I picked up a pound to play with. With all the cards on my table, waiting for spring, can't say when I'll get around to testing it though.

Hoot

did you ever have a chance to test it on your WT?

on the blk forums I saw people saying it gets fussy with load density, but seems to be happy very close to 100% case fill (ES/SD * pressure wise).

would love to see some input from other sourcing in another caliber like your WT or even the 450 :)

No, I haven't. There are several calibers that I got into and have yet to put through their paces I'm sorry to say. Got everything I need except the time. Its really full blown summer here already. I lost the comfort of the spring as it was short lived. It's been one thing after another this year, health issues, injuries, catch-up chores Doesn't help when the weather is bad on the weekend, then sure enough,, come Monday, its beautiful. I'm trying to save vacation for a hip replacement that I will be getting this coming winter. Our budget will not survive on disability pay, so I'm trying to get 6 weeks on the books beforehand, to allow for recovery taking longer than expected. Have not had the use of my trigger finger from an accident, since Memorial Day weekend. Very frustrating...

I will eventually get back to the 7.62x40WT but I've got 450b and 30 RAR projects waiting to get done first. I can't remember the last time I had my 6.5 Grendel out. I did scoop up 100 of those 300gr SST/ML bullets a few days ago. Just need to come up with a test scenario that isn't a repeat of mine or someone else' experiment. The Bartz upper seems to do better with the heavy weights than my original Bushmaster did. The resized 325 FTX's did surprisingly well, but I haven't gotten around to writing it up.

Life keeps getting in the way.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 pm

understandable man... I haven't gotten nearly the trigger time I want this year, and have done zero load development so far at all. like you said - Poo weekend weather and beautiful Monday-Friday. add that to trying to use some of the nice weather to trout fish, and I've been SOL.

I've got enough good known loads to work with for a couple of the guns I shoot a lot that I'm GTG to keep my trigger finger happy, but otherwise... meh.

hope you get on the mend quickly and can get back to it! :)
plant_one

Return to Market