Fair price - Trading Brass for .450b?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Fair price - Trading Brass for .450b?

Postby jkpq45 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:23 pm

I have a bunch of 6.5-284Win and 284Win cases, but none for the .450b and none of the tools I need to make them into .450b.

Anybody interested in trading me processed, good-to-go .450b brass in exchange for mine? Or willing to work mine up for a fee?

Sorry to mods if this is in the wrong section,
jkpq45
jkpq45

Re: Fair price - Trading Brass for .450b?

Postby plant_one » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:44 pm

starline is selling new brass now - and IIRC 450bm brass is about $0.67 per (shipped).

now I understand what you want to do, but I'm just keeping you informed of the baseline for new, factory formed brass, before you jump into paying for something just to convert them.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cas ... USHMASTER/

hth
plant_one

Re: Fair price - Trading Brass for .450b?

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Re-tasking .284 brass, where true .284 or 6.5x284, in a touch labor intensive task. I've gone there twice, never to return and I'm game for just about any fools errand.

Unfortunately, its not as simple as cutting the brass to length and deburring. First off the case wall is thicker down where you cut it to length. The degree can vary a little depending upon the brand and lot of brass. I've seen one that was thin enough to use, but never had good luck with factory new Winchester brass. The bullets are still the same size and when you squeeze them in they wind up looking like this:

If that bulge isn't bad enough, it doesn't always bulge evenly on all sides. Regardless, the end result is the case either gets stuck in your seating die, gouging the inside of it from that little "oh-Jesus clip" or if it makes it out of the seater, it gets stuck part of the way in while chambering. That means reaming each one to the depth that the particular make and model of bullet you use will insert into the case. A reaming tool that will keep the reamer coaxially centered isn't cheap. Then there's the extraction groove issue. The extractor, which may function flawlessly with actual Hornady brass will not drop down into the groove far enough to clear the barrel extension, resulting in it getting seized up or worse, broken off. Then there's the rim diameter. Hornady quickly got into cahoots with Bushmaster, varying the dimensions of the extractor groove and rim, in order to keep reloaders as "Loyal Customers" to Hornady 450b brass. Their brass doesn't measure to the original SAAMI spec for the 450b, and SAAMI has never redrawn their diagram. They just amended the tolerance specification.

Bottom line is, its more work than its worth. Check your PMs.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b