GLFA uppers

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

GLFA uppers

Postby badm4 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:39 am

Any info , reviews on Great Lakes Fire Arms uppers ? Thanks
badm4

Re: GLFA uppers

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:35 pm

I remember running across them a while ago, but couldn't remember where. Searched and found a guy on youtube. I also did a google search and found there homepage. It looks like they are basically out of business. You'll have to contact them and see if they will do something for you, but I'm kind of doubting it. If they can't do anything for you, you still have plenty of options.

EDIT - So apparenty I first looked at Great Lakes Firearms, which isnt the company being mentioned here, thanks google. Great Lakes Firearms and Ammo is the one being mentioned, and they seem to be open, and still making 450B parts.
Last edited by Bmt85 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:05 am

Al in Mi

Postby badm4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks for the info guys , I have found a few of there uppers on Gunbroker for a decent deal .
I was hoping to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on one .
badm4

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

that was the first I seen them, have not heard any feed back on them thou.
Al in Mi

Postby badm4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:01 am

so I am torn , GFLA upper , windham weaponry or a bushmaster ? What do you guys think ?
badm4

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I haven't really heard anything about GLFA or Windham. I do like how they come with M-lok rails.
Bushmaster, a lot of people use these, and have good results. I have a 16" and its worked great. Currently building a different rifle to replace it though. Just wanted something different. If your looking at 20" Bushmaster just know that it also runs a carbine length gas system. It works, but not ideal, especially if you plan to reload. Mid-length length is preferred, even down to 16" barrels.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm

badm4 wrote:so I am torn , GFLA upper , windham weaponry or a bushmaster ? What do you guys think ?

There is a YouTube review of the GLFA 450b upper here.
While not overly technical, it appears to show that their upper works as well as the Bushmaster I got back in 2010. I like nitrided surfaces for greater ease of cleaning as opposed to phosphatized surfaces. Other than that, not having seen either a Windham or GLFA up close, I could not advise you one way or another. My Bushmaster was made before Bushmaster got sold to the parent group of Remington and I seem to recall that the Windham group is comprised of the individuals who did not go along with the original Bushmaster migration. So, there's a good chance that Windham is the same people who made my Bushmaster. Just a historical tidbit. I didn't know if you had seen that video or not.

As with any purchase like this, a large degree goes down to ya' pays your money, ya' takes ya' chances.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby badm4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Bmt85 wrote:I haven't really heard anything about GLFA or Windham. I do like how they come with M-lok rails.
Bushmaster, a lot of people use these, and have good results. I have a 16" and its worked great. Currently building a different rifle to replace it though. Just wanted something different. If your looking at 20" Bushmaster just know that it also runs a carbine length gas system. It works, but not ideal, especially if you plan to reload. Mid-length length is preferred, even down to 16" barrels.

The 16 " is also carbine length also correct ?
badm4

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Yes, the 16" Bushmaster also has a carbine length gas system. Not really an issue though.
Bmt85

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles