What powder is in Hornady factory ammo?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

What powder is in Hornady factory ammo?

Postby jgilesg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Hey guys
I bought some factory Hornady black ammo today for the 450B and got to thinking. What powder and charge do they use in the factory loads. I pulled one of the projectiles to look and was surprised to have to put a small screwdriver into the case to break up the powder that was packed into the case. It looked to me like H110 powder and when I scaled it, there was 40.3 +/- of powder in the case. I was surprised to see that much powder in the case, it appeared to be a compressed load.
I did a search and didn't find anything that specified what they use in the factory load, is it a special powder or was it H110?

Any body know?

Thanks all
JG
jgilesg

Re: What powder is in Hornady factory ammo?

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 pm

jgilesg wrote:Hey guys
I bought some factory Hornady black ammo today for the 450B and got to thinking. What powder and charge do they use in the factory loads. I pulled one of the projectiles to look and was surprised to have to put a small screwdriver into the case to break up the powder that was packed into the case. It looked to me like H110 powder and when I scaled it, there was 40.3 +/- of powder in the case. I was surprised to see that much powder in the case, it appeared to be a compressed load.
I did a search and didn't find anything that specified what they use in the factory load, is it a special powder or was it H110?

Any body know?

Thanks all
JG

This is a good field observation to start a conversation over. Unfortunately, its almost my bed time. Nevertheless, here's why:
Running it through QuickLoad, with the SAAMI COL spec of 2.25, 40.3gr of H110 should not reach the bottom of the bullet in order to be packed down by it.
Either H4227 or 4198 would be compressed at 40.3gr, but would not necessarily be a good choice due to not running at peak efficiency However 40.3gr of either be at or slightly over SAAMI spec for maximum chamber pressure. I assume you meant that the powder was packed down from the bullet pushing down on it, not from some heretofore unmentioned additive to give the powder a more firm composition. Beats me... Image

I have a partial box of factory (pre-black) ammo and could pull one down to see how it compares.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jgilesg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:35 pm

I can't 100% confirm it was compressed. After pulling the projectile with my press, I turned the case over into a cup and only a small amount came out. The rest was still in the case and packed tightly together. I will pull another tomorrow and see how far up the case it went and get a better weight on the powder.
JG
jgilesg

Postby mcb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:05 am

Bet they are using a powder that we reloaders do not have access to.
mcb

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 am

Hoot wrote:
jgilesg wrote:Hey guys

Any body know?

Thanks all
JG

This is a good field observation to start a conversation over. Unfortunately, its almost my bed time. Nevertheless, here's why:
Running it through QuickLoad, with the SAAMI COL spec of 2.25, 40.3gr of H110 should not reach the bottom of the bullet in order to be packed down by it.
Either H4227 or 4198 would be compressed at 40.3gr, but would not necessarily be a good choice due to not running at peak efficiency However 40.3gr of either be at or slightly over SAAMI spec for maximum chamber pressure. I assume you meant that the powder was packed down from the bullet pushing down on it, not from some heretofore unmentioned additive to give the powder a more firm composition. Beats me... Image

I have a partial box of factory (pre-black) ammo and could pull one down to see how it compares.

Hoot

Take a picture of the powder too. Let's get a look at it. Both of you. At first I was beginning to think 1680 but remembered it didn't seem compressed at 40.0 with my tests. Now I'm wondering if maybe Hoot is on to something about an additive.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jgilesg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Hey Guys
I pulled down another Hornady Black 450 today. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pics soon so I can post them but the results were interesting. I used a collet puller as to not disturb the powder and the powder was up to the base of the projectile and did not fall out when turned over. I didn't loose any of it this time and it scaled at 40.9 grains. It also looks a lot like H110 to me with "maybe" a bit more dark notes to it.

Hoot
You explained to me how to post pics awhile ago and with my computer ignorance, I can't find what you sent me nor can I figure out the firkin search feature, I sent you a PM Hoot.

At 55 YO this is the first forum I have ever posted on and feel like a rookie.

Thanks guys, I look forward to you checking out the pics
JG
jgilesg

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 pm

No pics but my pre-Black version was below the heel of the bullet and flowed like powder out of the bottle. Not solidified in any way. It is a dead ringer for W296 in granule composition and color. Might be canister WC297.
Certainly did not look like Lil Gun, 300MP, CFE Black or AA1680. Sorry I don't have any H110.

I don't know why I never noticed before but under the stereo microscope, that crimp is not like any taper crimp I ever made. Took a lot of tries to get it to pull with the collet puller. I was surprised.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jgilesg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:24 pm

This is both powders
This is the h110
Hornady powder. It even had some clumps in it that didn't break up
Turned over, not much was loose
The powder was flat against the projectile.

I don't know if this tells us anything but thought I would share.
Thanks for the help posting pics
JG
jgilesg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Wow.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:10 pm

jgilesg wrote:Hey Guys
I pulled down another Hornady Black 450 today. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pics soon so I can post them but the results were interesting. I used a collet puller as to not disturb the powder and the powder was up to the base of the projectile and did not fall out when turned over. I didn't loose any of it this time and it scaled at 40.9 grains. It also looks a lot like H110 to me with "maybe" a bit more dark notes to it.

Hoot
You explained to me how to post pics awhile ago and with my computer ignorance, I can't find what you sent me nor can I figure out the firkin search feature, I sent you a PM Hoot.

At 55 YO this is the first forum I have ever posted on and feel like a rookie.

Thanks guys, I look forward to you checking out the pics
JG

I made a tutorial video. Here's the link.
https://youtu.be/Fxn8Fz7jIQs
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b