These are showing on Midway's Site

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

These are showing on Midway's Site

Postby En4cr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Has anyone tried these or have a recipe for them? They look interesting!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10190 ... -lead-free
En4cr

Re: These are showing on Midway's Site

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Possibly too light from past experience that members (including me) have had. They have a model also on sale for the 458 Socom, so the material should hold up to the velocity. I guess a big factor would be, given their polymer and metal powder structure, they're probably less dense than jacketed lead or hollow point copper equivalents. That might mean that they are physically longer and might not be so hard to seat far enough to permit decent retention. They do not include the length specification that was a factor with light jacketed lead or copper hollow point bullets. Too bad the ones for the 458 Socom are .458 diameter as I wouldn't know where to begin resizing them without them crumbling or cracking. They are less expensive than the Long Colt version.

More members need to take up the call and do some experimenting and posting Range Reports. The Long Colt version of this bullet would be a great candidate. I'll check their web site to see if they specify the length. Alliant 2400 should be a good powder for them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Okay, so the 157gr is almost identical in length to the 200gr FTX. Shouldn't be an issue seating them deep enough. That having been said, they are intended for short range use and if you thought the FTX's have low BC's, these Polycase bullets are a lot lower.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:03 am

i'd be nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs crimping those cases - eek!
plant_one

Postby mcb » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:40 am

Since its a nylon based polymer matrix filled with copper I bet is will handle a tapper crimp fairly well. The polymer will hopefully have enough give to keep it from fracturing like the heat/pressure sintered projectiles.

It is an interesting concept but the density still is not there. At best case with nearly 100% copper fill this stuff is going to be a bit under 9 g/cm^3 but probably a fair fraction lower since most nylons are are only a touch denser than water (1 g/cm^3) compare that to lead at a bit over 11 g/cm^3 and well its not going to have a very good sectional density or ballistic coefficient.

If it was cheaper I might try it but they are still significantly more expensive that even Hornady XTP/MAG bullets and I don't think of those as cheap bullets. I am struggling to see what they would be good for other than expense low recoil loads or frangible 450 Bushmaster loads, but how often are those needed?
mcb

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:27 am

I bet it will spin apart like a shot shell in a 1:16 twist. NOPE NOPE NOPE.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby mcb » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am

You could use them as snake loads then! :D
mcb

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:01 am

speaking of spinning apart... that reminds me... just saw this a few weeks back. didnt make the connection until a moment ago

if you have a can, might want to give this unfortunate thread a read regarding these bullets

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=100882

now mind you, in a blackout these are being run at a much faster twist - iIIRC the sig MCX comes from the factory with a 1:6 or 1:5 twist rate to stabilize long heavy subs. so while these may not be a huge issue in our guns at 1:24 or even 1:16, its something to be mindful about using this poly/copper bonded stuff in fast(er) twist setups.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 am

plant_one wrote:speaking of spinning apart... that reminds me... just saw this a few weeks back. didnt make the connection until a moment ago

if you have a can, might want to give this unfortunate thread a read regarding these bullets

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=100882

now mind you, in a blackout these are being run at a much faster twist - iIIRC the sig MCX comes from the factory with a 1:6 or 1:5 twist rate to stabilize long heavy subs. so while these may not be a huge issue in our guns at 1:24 or even 1:16, its something to be mindful about using this poly/copper bonded stuff in fast(er) twist setups.

Holy Moly! Look at that copper deposition on the bolt in that thread! So much for my interest in running those bullets at rifle speeds. :|

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 am

My advice to all of you is to leave these bullets alone. You want to put them through a pistol under 1400FPS, that's your choice, but sending these bullets beyond 1400FPS is a huge invite to Murphy and possibly even Darwin.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b