314-Yard Whitetail!

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

314-Yard Whitetail!

Postby Michigun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Hey fellas, long time lurker, 1st time poster! Wanted to share my success with my 450 Bushmaster setup, over the past 2 years, since Michigan has made certain 'strait walled' cartridges, fired from a rifle platform, legal in the shotgun zone here.

Here is my most recent Michigan whitetail I took @ 314-yards (laser rangefinder):

What had me looking for a new whitetail hunting gun you may ask? Well, it was three-fold. First was the discontinuation of the sabot shotgun shell that I was currently using out of my custom Beretta 390 12-gauge...second, I was looking for a softer shooting platform for my 2 younger daughters that are also interested in deer hunting...And third, I just wanted a new toy after MANY years with my VERY proven Beretta. :-)

Being a big AR fan I knew going in that I was looking at that platform...and after a bunch of research, I decided that the 450 Bushmaster was what I was looking for...it also happens to be the maximum cartridge length, that is allowed here and Michigan, in the shotgun zone.

Well...off to Gunbroker.com I went in search of a new/used Bushmaster chambered in 450...imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a custom 450 Bushmaster AR maker there called Gryphon Trading LLC!

I ended up picking one of their more basic complete uppers. (by basic I mean a standard free-float tube/forearm and a non-painted stainless steel barrel) The only splurge I made was the addition of one of their custom brakes, which I figured would help tame a bit more recoil for my younger daughters. My upper came 100% complete with their 18" mid-length SS barrel.

After receiving the upper I added an older Vari X II Leupold 3x9 optic in a cheapo (they work however) B-Square AR flat-top mount.

The lower I built using an inexpensive Anderson Manufacturing 'muti cal' LR I had already...I added a:

-Magpul fixed rifle stock
-Magpul grip
-ACT lite trigger group
-Basic LPK
-Spector 3-point sling

Here's the end result:

Here is a 5-shot target @ 100-yards W/the above setup:

Michigun

Re: 314-Yard Whitetail!

Postby Michigun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:45 pm

The doe above was my 7th whitetail, in 2 years, with my GT 450.
Michigun

Postby Hoot » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Welcome aboard Mich!

Congratulations on your deer!
By any chance, were you able to recover the bullet from your kill? It would be interesting to see the expansion at that distance. By then, the calculated velocity is only ~1250 fps with factory loads.
Since you're a lurker you've probably figured out that we're a morbid lot here. Any post mortem images showing terminal performance? We'll take them as well. Image Uum, monster mash gude!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Michigun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:46 pm

:-) No bullet pictures to post as it was a COMPLETE passthrough shot...She was perfectly broadside and the bullet passed through BOTH shoulders! It was an 'anchor shot' for sure.

I will get some entrance/exit wound pictures this weekend when we process this doe along with a few others that are currently hanging in the cooler. :-)
Michigun

Postby Michigun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 pm

By the way, you can see entrance wound near the front of the shoulder in my picture above.
Michigun

Postby plant_one » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 pm

congratz on a great kill

and welcome from oakland county :)
plant_one

Postby Michigun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I'll be visiting a retired Oakland County Sheriff friend of mine this weekend actually! :-)
Michigun

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:47 am

Pictures unviewable. Please update.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Pictures unviewable. Please update.

thanks to photof**@^#it, thats a regular problem on forums everywhere these days :(
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:34 am

I know that drill!

Had to go back a few years ago and re-host my images. Real PITA. :x
Thank goodness I saved most of them locally, but it was like an entire weekend lost.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall