Reloading Data Help

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Reloading Data Help

Postby shooter75 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:23 pm

So I finally got a reply from Jeff. Ill be starting with 41 grains of H110 for the 250 grain Barnes and work up from there. We will see how it goes!!
shooter75

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 pm

shooter75 wrote:Hey Hoot could you tell me if QL has the Barnes #30562 250 grain HP in their data base?? Im on the fence on getting QL.

Sorry, I missed this post. No, my copy only has the 250gr XPB (45123) and the 250 gr MZ (45125) both of which, like the 30562 have a gaping hollow point. I would expect them to over-expand at high velocities like we encounter with the 450b. To be honest, they would be my last choice for a bullet in this caliber.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby shooter75 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:24 pm

No worries Hoot thanks for the info. By over-expanding do you mean blowing the petals off the shank??
shooter75

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 am

shooter75 wrote:No worries Hoot thanks for the info. By over-expanding do you mean blowing the petals off the shank??

Yes and No. We want gradual expansion combined with deep penetration. You wouldn't want it splashing on the surface even though the lethality is still there with a bullet this diameter and at this velocity. The benefit of easier expansion is actually a plus when you take shots out at distances beyond where a more compact hollow point (higher BC) bullet doesn't initiate expansion. The issue of unnecessary meat damage comes into play at some point. I have always and still do consider my 450b a "brush buster" caliber. If I were hunting whitetails where I knew my only shots came out beyond 150yds, I would change calibers. The 450b is not my only rifle. I would not use a 4x4, Off Road, Mudder to compete in the LeMans or the Daytona 500. They don't play to its strengths.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby shooter75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Hoot wrote:
shooter75 wrote:No worries Hoot thanks for the info. By over-expanding do you mean blowing the petals off the shank??

Yes and No. We want gradual expansion combined with deep penetration. You wouldn't want it splashing on the surface even though the lethality is still there with a bullet this diameter and at this velocity. The benefit of easier expansion is actually a plus when you take shots out at distances beyond where a more compact hollow point (higher BC) bullet doesn't initiate expansion. The issue of unnecessary meat damage comes into play at some point. I have always and still do consider my 450b a "brush buster" caliber. If I were hunting whitetails where I knew my only shots came out beyond 150yds, I would change calibers. The 450b is not my only rifle. I would not use a 4x4, Off Road, Mudder to compete in the LeMans or the Daytona 500. They don't play to its strengths.

Hoot

Hey Hoot yes that does make sense. In my case, ill be going to central Georgia at the end of Novemeber for some night swine hunting!!! The outfitter i will be hunting with has baited feeders at no more than 50 yards with kill lights on them. So i wont be worrying about long range, high bc issues. From your point above maybe i wont load them as hot for such a short range and cause to much meat damage! Last year i went knida overkill and was hunting with a 300 Rum with 180 grain partions and shot a 200lb hog at 125 yards with a straight on shot through the front shoulder and recover the bullet in the rear ham!!! To much meat loss for my liking!! Recovered bullet weighed in at 130 grains.
shooter75

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:42 pm

shooter75 wrote:
Hey Hoot yes that does make sense. In my case, ill be going to central Georgia at the end of November for some night swine hunting!!! The outfitter i will be hunting with has baited feeders at no more than 50 yards with kill lights on them. So i wont be worrying about long range, high bc issues. From your point above maybe i wont load them as hot for such a short range and cause to much meat damage! Last year i went kinda overkill and was hunting with a 300 Rum with 180 grain partitions and shot a 200lb hog at 125 yards with a straight on shot through the front shoulder and recover the bullet in the rear ham!!! To much meat loss for my liking!! Recovered bullet weighed in at 130 grains.

I too will be going on a hog hunt at some game farm type setup down in Texas myself come February. It's been on my bucket list for the past 7 years (since I got my 450b). It will be from comfortably apportioned blinds overlooking bait stations much like you mentioned. More like shooting than hunting IMHO, but my brother-in-law set it up and he's a candy ass. I will be loading 275 XPB's over 40gr of Lil Gun at 2.29 COL. Plenty of oomph for the job. Money is tight right now due to a moratorium on OT at work, or I would get a box of those 325gr Barnes Busters to try. I may take some of those 245gr brass and 250gr copper Extreme Penetrators along as well assuming I have time this fall to do some water shots with them first. Rimfire Benchrest (my other passion) season ends this Sunday with our big Tournament and the summer is drawing to a close, affording me more time for my backlog of 450b reloading experiments, minus the hot weather. I also have a handful of 30 Remington AR experiments to conclude if the weather holds. That's a reasonable hog AR caliber also. Endless opportunities.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby shooter75 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 am

Hoot wrote:
shooter75 wrote:
Hey Hoot yes that does make sense. In my case, ill be going to central Georgia at the end of November for some night swine hunting!!! The outfitter i will be hunting with has baited feeders at no more than 50 yards with kill lights on them. So i wont be worrying about long range, high bc issues. From your point above maybe i wont load them as hot for such a short range and cause to much meat damage! Last year i went kinda overkill and was hunting with a 300 Rum with 180 grain partitions and shot a 200lb hog at 125 yards with a straight on shot through the front shoulder and recover the bullet in the rear ham!!! To much meat loss for my liking!! Recovered bullet weighed in at 130 grains.

I too will be going on a hog hunt at some game farm type setup down in Texas myself come February. It's been on my bucket list for the past 7 years (since I got my 450b). It will be from comfortably apportioned blinds overlooking bait stations much like you mentioned. More like shooting than hunting IMHO, but my brother-in-law set it up and he's a candy ass. I will be loading 275 XPB's over 40gr of Lil Gun at 2.29 COL. Plenty of oomph for the job. Money is tight right now due to a moratorium on OT at work, or I would get a box of those 325gr Barnes Busters to try. I may take some of those 245gr brass and 250gr copper Extreme Penetrators along as well assuming I have time this fall to do some water shots with them first. Rimfire Benchrest (my other passion) season ends this Sunday with our big Tournament and the summer is drawing to a close, affording me more time for my backlog of 450b reloading experiments, minus the hot weather. I also have a handful of 30 Remington AR experiments to conclude if the weather holds. That's a reasonable hog AR caliber also. Endless opportunities.

Hoot

That great! You'll have a great time I bet. This is my second year going hog hunting with Woods-N-Water Outfitters with my father. I try to do a hunting trip with my father every year. Previous 2 years we went to Arkansas for some waterfowl hunting. I never night hunted so that will be a first. I'm going to have to invest in a green light for my rifle, because I cant afford thermal!!! LOL!! I've been eyeing those 220 grain Extreme Hunters that Underwood just came out with, but I haven't really seen any feedback on them. They are all sold out right now anyway. That 30 Rem would be fun to try out especially loaded with some Partitions! Heres the pic of the hog I got last year and the recovered bullet.

shooter75

Postby shooter75 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Sooo..taking Hoot's advice i went with another bullet instead of the 250 XPBs and went with the Lehigh 220 grain Xtreme Hunters for my up coming hog hunt. Now i just need some input on how much Lil Gun to start with for my Ruger American. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

shooter75

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 am

It's a brand new bullet so I doubt anyone has load data for it. I have looked into that bullet, but have yet to pick any up to play with. I have a feeling though, if you seat that bullet so you just get the taper crimp into the front of the first driving band, start off load is probably going to be around 34-35gr of Lilgun. If you can load out so you get the taper crimp into the front of the second driving band, then maybe 35-36gr of Lilgun. Those are just assumptions, and you know what they say about that.....
Bmt85

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:07 am

At 220 grains, I would consider giving them the same ramp up start charge of 38 grains of Lil Gun and look for the first accuracy node around 39.0 or 39.5 grains. I’m just not sure 34.0 grains is going to be enough pressure to adequately seal the case wall against the chamber wall for a proper gas seal. And I know I’ve driven the 230 grain bullets well north of 38.0 grains with no pressure signs until I got to around 43.0 grains lil gun.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b