Bullet selection

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Bullet selection

Postby ballisticedge » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 pm

New here and just getting started with the 450 Bushmaster. Trying to finish my build on a Mauser 98 bolt action.
Question, Has anyone tried the .452 bullet selections available that are used in muzzle loading? Some I have been looking at have very high BC and per advertising have excellent performance.
Thanks For your answer and your time
Phil
ballisticedge

Re: Bullet selection

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:35 pm

ballisticedge wrote:New here and just getting started with the 450 Bushmaster. Trying to finish my build on a Mauser 98 bolt action.
Question, Has anyone tried the .452 bullet selections available that are used in muzzle loading? Some I have been looking at have very high BC and per advertising have excellent performance.
Thanks For your answer and your time
Phil

Welcome aboard Phil!

The short answer is yes, a few ML bullets have been tried but you have to dig to find them in the Reloading for the 450b sub-forum.
Both the Hornady 250gr SST/ML and the 300gr SST/ML were the first that I recall. I could swear that someone tried the Barnes TMZ but I can't say for certain. There was also talk about a bullet with a large exposed black polymer tip and slits in the front part of the jacket that I recall seeing at the least mentioned. Recently too. In the case of the 300gr SST/ML, they were really affordable due to being offered in bulk, minus the sabot. Probably but not sure that the 250 SST/ML is however. The latter is so close ballistically to the regular 250 FTX as to not reveal much improvement for effort. Short of those two, most other offerings and there are quite a few saboted.451-.452 bullet choices that certainly can be loaded for this caliber at least on Midway for muzzle loaders, but gosh, they sure are expensive. For what they cost, you can just go with the Barnes XPB and TSX bullets and be done with it, if you want more variety in your 450b diet. They're not chump change either, but there are multiple accounts of how well they both fly and their terminal performance.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ballisticedge » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks for the input and knowledge.
Phil
ballisticedge

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am

I have always suspected that some of the .452 blems offered by Midway are what would normally be sabotted .50 muzzle loaders.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to Bolt Action Rifles