225 ftx testing

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

225 ftx testing

Postby plant_one » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 pm

got some much needed balistic therapy over the weekend. my itchy trigger finger was due for a proper scratching :)

finally ran across some secret lil gun/450bm sauce - aka Rem 7½'s . picked up 2 bricks when i saw them and couldnt be happier that i did.

Kelvarr stopped over, we loaded up some test ammo and headed over to some private property to get some data collected.

i was getting some wierd readings from my magnetospeed, being a bit pressed for time i ended up shooting most of the loads with no chrono in play, but i can catch the rest of the (important) data in the future.

for both of us the 38.0 gr load of lil gun under a 225 FTX has shown itself to be a winner running just shy of 2290 fps. no pressure signs at all on the primers, some sooting on the case.

36.5 gr had me scratching my head for a while, since it was quite a bit warmer than the 38 grain load velocity wise (>100 fps), but i then i remembered switching to using the neck expander after those felt a little snugger than i was comfortable with during seating. Sooting was noticeably less on the brass for those. guessing it acted like having a Legrande Side crimp on there as well as the regular taper giving a more complete ignition before the brass let go of the bullet. I've got my expander set to like 1/4 turn after contact, so its a SUPPPPPER mild neck expansion, but the difference was striking.

anyway, onto the good stuff - pics of dead paper!

[edit] both uppers are bushmaster 20" factory uppers, all shooting was 100 yds.

hornady .452 225gr FTX
.475 taper crimp
38.0 grains lil gun
2288 fps avg

Kelvarr's 450

My 450

i think i know which load i want to hunt with this year :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

once we got the work out of the way, i pulled out my 223 and we got to smack some steel at 175 yds to round out the evening.

i love the sound of a gong downrange getting a good solid *THOWCK* from a suppressed rifle!
Last edited by plant_one on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
plant_one

Re: 225 ftx testing

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

I’ve been considering buying some steel AR500 plates. But I’ve also been considering rehabbing my backstop. A couple of dump trucks of fill dirt doesn’t come cheap around here.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 am

ibe been buying ar-500 for a couple years now. one here, one there, as i find them on sale type of thing. i've got 2" mini's, 6" square and round plates, 8" gong, 10" gong, and a 10" bullseye gong that we call the toilet seat - its a 10" gong with a 4" hole in the middle with a 6" gong behind

its pretty spectacular stuff, and as long as you stay below 3000 FPS impact velocity all you do is splash the paint off and throw copper fragments everywhere as the jackets esplode. just make sure they can swing, or are mounted leaning towards you by about 10* and almost everything ends up in a line in the dirt below the target.

some of my earlier plates have thousands of rounds splashed off them with nary a mark upon them. the only one i have dimples in was the pic above - totally my fault as i brainfarted and empty'ed the bottom of a mag of 204 at it from 75 yds away :o :oops: thank goodness the plates have two sides :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am

you can hang them on shepherds hooks too, but i find that after any ammount of significant shooting they'll losen up in the ground and end up getting knocked over - especailly by full power loads like from a 308 or 30-06, etc.... i want to get a couple logs and drill holes for the shepherds hooks into to use as bases.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm

I snagged the neighbors old swing set to use for hanging plates when I acquire a few.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am

You guys are gonna Force me to do this, aren’t you? :lol:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

no pressure or anything ;) :mrgreen:

you can get a 10" gong for about $35

just make sure you find out if they're water jet cut or not.

plasma cut plates have a small area near the cut points that the heat from the cut damages the temper on the steel and softens it up a bit. its usually not very wide, but it makes for points that are more susceptible to damage on the edges and near the mounting holes. dimples/craters = possible weird deflections

do not attempt to mount them with nylon webbing or rope - stick to chain or conveyer belt type material, or a straight hanging mount. the jackets will cut right thru them after a while. also watch for jacket shards in any wood you may use to hang/mount them from. the splash radius will be 5-10' depending on the caliber.

a carrige bolt with a spring through a 2x4 (or any other solid object) also works well - i like carrige bolts because the rounded head makes me comfortable i'm less likely to get wierd splash redirection or a possible richochet

(random web photo)

also - dont worry about ordering a pre-painted targets. just get bare steel targets. nothing a can of spray paint wont fix, or your bullets wont splash off anyway. i watch for spray paint to come into the clearance section at the store and rarely pay more than $1/can for the stuff. i like to use white because it shows the splashes well, but i got a bunch of hunter orange cans last summer and use that too. always keep a couple cans around - you'll need it :mrgreen:

feel free to stencil a bullseye on, but dont bother with stickers - the splash will rip them cleanly right off the plates.
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:43 pm

If my mother knew how bad an influence you guys are on me, she would ground me and call your mothers.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:If my mother knew how bad an influence you guys are on me, she would ground me and call your mothers.

wouldnt make a difference, my mom already knows 8-) :lol: :lol:
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 am

plant_one wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:If my mother knew how bad an influence you guys are on me, she would ground me and call your mothers.

wouldnt make a difference, my mom already knows 8-) :lol: :lol:

Yeah. And right now, my mom wouldn’t remember where she put her phone book anyway. :roll:
Poor lady.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b