Doing some pig hunting this week

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Doing some pig hunting this week

Postby earlwb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 am

I just got back from doing some pig hunting, in south Texas this past week, with my .450 Bushmaster. The caliber is probably overkill for the most part, but the big hogs could change one's mind though. The pig that I posed with at the abattoir, was interesting. The 450 bullet fell out while it was being cleaned in the abattoir. The bullet didn't go all the way through like I expected. I did find it odd at first that there was no exit wound on the head of the pig, but I thought that maybe I just missed it and didn't see it. I was using the standard Hornady 250 grain bullets in the factory ammunition. Anyway, it was one head shot per pig as I wanted the meat of course. Yeah I forgot to set the date time on the ATN X Sight II scope.

Some of the pigs:

earlwb

Re: Doing some pig hunting this week

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am

nothing wrong with that!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:33 am

That scope hard on batteries?
Al in Mi

Postby Spike1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 am

Love shooting pigs. We have a mess of them at our ranch in May Tx. :D
Spike1

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 am

Did you discuss using the X Sight II on a 450 Bushmaster with ATN beforehand or did you just not care that they won’t cover it warranty wise since the scope is only rated to the 308 Winchester?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby earlwb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm

I had thought about that, but my rifle is quite heavy in comparison to my .308. The felt recoil feels less with the 450 as compared to my 308 bolt rifle. I have the 22 inch barrel version Bushmaster upper with the heavy machined hand guard. So the rifle is fairly heavy. But when I set it up I did not know of the caliber limit. It wasn’t in their instructions and it wasn't mentioned on their website either.
Last edited by earlwb on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlwb

Postby earlwb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Right now we are roasting some of the hog meat for our home BBQ. We actually had some meat on the ribs too.
earlwb

Postby earlwb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Al in Mi wrote:That scope hard on batteries?

I had bought the Cabelas special edition that comes with the external 10,000 mah battery pack. I think I get up to 8 hours of runtime depends on the features used. Such as GPS, WIFI, video recording etc. the only annoying thing about the external battery pack is the buttstock case. It interferes with the charging handle. So I have to pull off the carry case to unload the rifle or lock the bolt back. Maybe there is a better buttstock that sits a Lille lower to clear the chargehandle. But I haven’t seen one yet. The other alternative is to figure out a better place for the battery pack.

Now you can use 4 AA batteries but unless you use the lithium AA cells you won’t get anywhere near 4 hours runtime.
earlwb

Postby sbrGrendel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Did you discuss using the X Sight II on a 450 Bushmaster with ATN beforehand or did you just not care that they won’t cover it warranty wise since the scope is only rated to the 308 Winchester?

ATN scopes will stop working even if your well below the .308 cal rated level and they won’t even cover optics that is under warranty. So your out of luck anyways. If anyone is looking for a lower cost thermal Pulsar is the way to go.

Trijicon/can’t think of the company Trijicon bought
Armasight/Flir
Pulsar
ATN-only if given to me free

Then there is the Military/LE stuff only
sbrGrendel

Postby plant_one » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 am

i have a sightmark photon - and while not as feature packed as the ATN is, it seems nice and durable and battery life is good if you're looking into the digital NV game and wanting to stay budget minded.
plant_one

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall