Another question for the pros 6.5 Grendel this time

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Another question for the pros 6.5 Grendel this time

Postby jgilesg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 pm

I know this is a 450 bushmaster forum but you guys know a lot about a lot and I’d like your input.
I’m pretty new to AR style rifles (5 years or so) and I’m interested in a pretty long range caliber, long range for me anyways. The 6.5 Grendel sounds like it may be a good caliber to try. I have everything with the exception of bolt and barrel. I can find barrels from 200 to 600 bucks. I consider myself a decent shot and would like to have something that is capable of shooting in the 600-700 yard range.
So, do you have a recommendation for manufacturer and length of barrel I should go with? I’m not looking to compete with the top dogs but I’d love to hit a 12”steel at 500-600 yards.
Do I need to spend a fortune for something capable of doing this, or is that a reasonable expectation without having to spend a fortune?
As always, I trust and appreciat your opinion
JG
jgilesg

Re: Another question for the pros 6.5 Grendel this time

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:55 pm

IMHO, that's a long poke for the powder capacity in the 65G case. That kind of range is more for the AR10 class calibers. For a 123gr Hornady Amax with a BC of .510 and a max AR15 charge, they will drop about 85 inches and drift about 21 inches off target in a mild 10mph crosswind at 500 yds. You can dial that out with the scope, but small changes along the way add up to big changes at the gong. I love my 6.5g and have loaded a lot of powder and bullet combinations for my 24" barrel, but it has its limitations with only around 25gr of powder capacity. If you're considering a shorter barrel, the downrange ballistics only get worse. The 123gs Amax is about as sweet a bullet as you will find for BC and overall ballistics in the 65G.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jgilesg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 am

Wow. I was under the impresion they shot flatter than that. I have an AR 10 chambered in 308, I was hoping I could do better in the light 15 platform. I better rethink my direction.
Is there a caliber that you’d recommend in the AR 15 platform that can reach out a bit further? I built a new lower that’s in need of an upper.
Thanks
JG
jgilesg

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:43 am

I have no experience with shooting out to 500-600yds, I live in Michigan. Lol

You could try a 6mm version of the Grendel. Or even a 6.8spc shortened a little, and necked down to 6mm. Around the same b.c. but with lighter bullets, so a little more speed. After that your looking at something with a 308 case head, using a beefier bolt and barrel extension. Quite a few options there, but more work and money.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:24 am

Don't confuse drop with impact. That drop figure is based upon the gun being sighted parallel to the earth. If it is sighted in at 300 yds (tilted upward), then the flatness of it's shooting comes more into view.

65g_300zero_8x6.jpg
65g_300zero_8x6.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 11556 times

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:12 pm

I’m with Hoot. If you’re wanting to reach out with the 6.5 caliber, if I were you, I would look hard at the 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR 10 Platform. (If you have your heart set on the AR). If you don’t mind going to the bolt, I would still look and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I recently picked one up and so far, it’s very easy on the shoulder and fun to shoot. I have mine barely sighted in at 50 yards right now, I just haven’t had time to get out to the range in the last few weekends. But I’ve seen guys hittting good and solid at 500-600 yards and even out to 1000 yards.
I love my Grendel’s but I just don’t think they are gonna be anything but 300 max rifles. I know I’ve not gotten a lot of shooting time with them lately, but my work has me literally burning the candle at both ends and I just haven’t found the time yet.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 45r » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:33 pm

I use a 6mm grendel for 600 yard shooting with 105 Amax and H-4895.
With the Krieger barrel half MOA groups on windless days are easy when I do my part well.
Lee at accurate and reliable rifles can fix you up with a 6mm FatRat that shoots 100 fps faster with a 26 inch barrel.
Krieger barrels shoot real well without much need for cleaning.
They aren't cheap and neither are the dies.
AR-15's can shoot at long range but a high quality barrel with a good scope is usually mandatory for consistant results.
You need a lot of practice reading the wind and dialing up the right dope on the scope but it will make normal hunting range shots 400 yards and under seem a lot easier.
I prefer the 65grendel for hunting past 300 yards since it is simular to the 6.5 Swede.
45r

Postby jgilesg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 pm

As usual your logic makes sense and brings me back to solid ground. I think I was hoping to do a bit more than the AR 15 platform is normally capable of doing.
SD I think I may do what you have done, go with a 6.5 Grendel and use it for fun mid length fun 300 to maybe 400, and look at getting a bolt 6.5 Creedmore for a bit longer reach in the future.
Thanks again all
JG
jgilesg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 am

jgilesg wrote:As usual your logic makes sense and brings me back to solid ground. I think I was hoping to do a bit more than the AR 15 platform is normally capable of doing.
SD I think I may do what you have done, go with a 6.5 Grendel and use it for fun mid length fun 300 to maybe 400, and look at getting a bolt 6.5 Creedmore for a bit longer reach in the future.
Thanks again all
JG

Look at the Howa 1500. Or the Ruger American if you’re going with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
If you’re gonna build a Grendel, I strongly endorse the Satern barrels or the Anderson MFG barrels.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jgilesg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Will do
thanks SD
JG
jgilesg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b