300gr copper solid WFN

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 300gr copper solid WFN

Postby earlwb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Considering the cost of some of these copper bullets, it is maybe worth the effort to chuck some copper rod up in a lathe and just make your own. I assume that the bullet diameter would match the bore diameter since the bullets won't expand when fired. Or should the bullets be a hair smaller than the bore diameter?
earlwb

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 am

earlwb wrote:Considering the cost of some of these copper bullets, it is maybe worth the effort to chuck some copper rod up in a lathe and just make your own. I assume that the bullet diameter would match the bore diameter since the bullets won't expand when fired. Or should the bullets be a hair smaller than the bore diameter?

Barnes uses .451. If you can get 29/64 stock, you wouldn't have to take much off. The important thing is not to get soft drawn copper. You might be better served with brass. It doesn't build up as much in the bore. Access to a screw machine would be a big plus, unless you have a lot of time on you hands.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 am

The reason for copper bullets in .451"-.452" is BATFE...you cannot use brass bullets in a pistol...there afraid a brass bullet will penetrate a bullets proof vest...

I'am very surprised Lehigh is making - selling a .451" bullet in brass....several years ago BATFE got on all brass-copper bullet manufactures they were even going to shut Barnes Bullets down...

How it got started a custom ammo manufacture in 5.7x28 ammo was turning down a bullet manufactured by a bullet company and loading it in there ammo selling it to the general public...
coyote wacker

Postby earlwb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

coyote wacker wrote:The reason for copper bullets in .451"-.452" is BATFE...you cannot use brass bullets in a pistol...there afraid a brass bullet will penetrate a bullets proof vest...

I'am very surprised Lehigh is making - selling a .451" bullet in brass....several years ago BATFE got on all brass-copper bullet manufactures they were even going to shut Barnes Bullets down...

How it got started a custom ammo manufacture in 5.7x28 ammo was turning down a bullet manufactured by a bullet company and loading it in there ammo selling it to the general public...

Yes, you are correct. I don't think they changed the law yet.

Quote from this reference back in 2012: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2012120 ... til-dec-31
"Under the law, adopted in 1986, "armor piercing ammunition" is defined as "a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium." A second definition, added in the 1990s, includes "a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile."

The larger than .22 caliber comment is odd though. I wonder what that was about.

Now then BATF did get all bad against ELITE Ammunition a while back in 2011 though. They were taking bullets and improving them, but BATF didn't like that apparently. it makes one wonder what the company did to piss off BATF at the time. It really makes me wonder if they were looking for a way to steal the ammo for sale to the drug cartels or something.
ref http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... s-bullets/
earlwb

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b