Chronograph-Which one?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Chronograph-Which one?

Postby Thom28 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:16 pm

I have never owned a chronograph but have decided that I need to look in to getting one. I looked at them on Midway and was overwhelmed with all that are available.
I am asking the members of the forum who have experience with them for some help. I am just looking for a basic model that gets the job done. I don't need the ones with all the bells and whistles. So guys/gals, what is a good brand and model for me? Any help, information, and suggestions appreciated.

Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Re: Chronograph-Which one?

Postby Colohunter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:03 pm

I have a basic shooting chrony brand one that I have probably had for 15 years that gets the job done, but I am considering upgrading to a Magnetospeed. Mine works okay, but a basic model just has a simple display with no memory or ability to display things like average, SD, ES, etc. Also, depending on how busy the range is, it can be a pain to get the chrony set up when you are getting started and then taken down when you are done, or want to shoot around it.
Colohunter

Postby plant_one » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 pm

call around to your local public ranges - around here they dont let you setup anything downrange - including chrono's.

its part of the reason i pony'ed up for the magnetospeed. 100% ok at the range as its attached to your barrel and/or handguard (depending on config) and the memory card is very functional.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:38 am

plant_one wrote:call around to your local public ranges - around here they dont let you setup anything downrange - including chrono's.

its part of the reason i pony'ed up for the magnetospeed. 100% ok at the range as its attached to your barrel and/or handguard (depending on config) and the memory card is very functional.

I would plug the LabRadar, which I have, but to be honest, while it is easy peezey to set up without going downrange, it is no where as reliable shot to shot. My cheapo chrony F1 modded to work like an f2 is much more reliable, with the exception of when the sun is at its back. My LabRadar really struggles with rifles that have a brake on them, which is most of mine. :roll:

Oh, and its certainly not cheap.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Thom28 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:16 am

I don't have to use public ranges as I have built my own range on my property.

plant_one-Does the Magnetospeed work with rifles that have the muzzle brakes?

Thanks for the information.

Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 am

If you can set up downrange, this one from Caldwell is great:

https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Cal ... CEQAvD_BwE
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 am

Thom28 wrote:I don't have to use public ranges as I have built my own range on my property.

Thom

they can handle muzzle brakes and flash hiders - to a certain size anyway. length is more critical than width is, unless your break is HUUUUUUGE on the girth anyway.

the v3 does fine with my ross 3 hole, and standard a2 style flash hiders as well as the rifenbark SOM and after a quick check on the magnetospeed website they have a "large brake adapter" for use on large muzzle breaks like you'd find on a 338 or a 50 cal (up to 7.7" long and barrel dia 1.6") if yours exceeds the standard mounting system the v3 comes with.

a standard v3 will work with barrels/suppressors up to 1.5" IIRC and the sporter version will handle up to 1" barrels.
plant_one

Postby earlwb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 pm

I went with a LabRadar Chronograph. No problem to setup. Lots of features. Plus it is really hard to accidentally shoot it, since it stands right next to you. One nice feature is that it will give you the bullet velocity out to as far as it can still pickup the bullet. The little .22's work but not for longer distances, but the bigger the bullet the farther it can still pick it up.

I have a optical Chronograph, but it can be picky somedays, especially if it is cloudy or overcast. Then there is the risk of accidentally shooting it too.
earlwb

Postby Thom28 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm

plant_one wrote:
Thom28 wrote:I don't have to use public ranges as I have built my own range on my property.

Thom

they can handle muzzle brakes and flash hiders - to a certain size anyway. length is more critical than width is, unless your break is HUUUUUUGE on the girth anyway.

the v3 does fine with my ross 3 hole, and standard a2 style flash hiders as well as the rifenbark SOM and after a quick check on the magnetospeed website they have a "large brake adapter" for use on large muzzle breaks like you'd find on a 338 or a 50 cal (up to 7.7" long and barrel dia 1.6") if yours exceeds the standard mounting system the v3 comes with.

plant_one,
I have a Ross brake on my Bushmaster AR and then stock muzzle brake on the Ruger No.1 and Ruger Gunsite.

a standard v3 will work with barrels/suppressors up to 1.5" IIRC and the sporter version will handle up to 1" barrels.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Postby Thom28 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:50 pm

plant_one,
I have a Ross brake on my Bushmaster AR and then stock muzzle brake on the Ruger No.1 and Ruger Gunsite.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b