Twist rate

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Twist rate

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

cowboybart wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Please go read this post.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12715

That's a good read. BIG bear at 1300 lb!!! Not to take anything away from the load, shooter or bear, but my situation is slightly different. While the bears here go 600-800 lbs, most are in the 650 range (half of the weight of the bear in the thread), the one I might have to shoot at will be coming at me with all of hell's fury. Animals are easier to kill if they don't know your there. If they are full of adrenaline, it takes more to stop them. Given the performance of the above load and the penetration thru a lot of bear, I think a 300 gr bullet will make me sleep OK. I am a heavy bullet kind of guy, rather than a velocity person.
Thanx for all the tips, now to go out and find the parts for the build.

Hell yes. And if you can find those Speer 300 grain deep curls, try those with some 1680! I tested some 250 grain deep curls and they did okay. I need to revisit that bullet and test a sweet spot (node) I found.
You_Doodle_2017-08-23T15_55_32Z.jpg
250 deep curl lil gun
You_Doodle_2017-08-23T15_55_32Z.jpg (923.25 KiB) Viewed 9460 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby cowboybart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 am

I just bought 3 lbs of Lil Gun and ordered a Deadshot barrel. Dies will be coming shortly, but brass is gonna be the problem. I have about 30 pcs of 284 brass with split necks from my 6-284. I will at least get some 230gr plinkers loaded. My upper has a forward assist on it, but I don't want the parts there. Does anybody make a cap to go over the FA port, to keep the dust out??
cowboybart

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:04 am

I've seen plastic plugs somewhere that will plug that hole, have to do some digging.

https://www.pc-armament.com/product-pag ... loss-black, midway has them too https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10033 ... lrin-ar-15

New 450 brass shouldn't be a issue with hornady and now starline offering it. Think hoot did some early testing with cut down 284 brass, hopefully he'll chime in.
Last edited by Al in Mi on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:02 am

cowboybart wrote:I just bought 3 lbs of Lil Gun and ordered a Deadshot barrel. Dies will be coming shortly, but brass is gonna be the problem. I have about 30 pcs of 284 brass with split necks from my 6-284. I will at least get some 230gr plinkers loaded. My upper has a forward assist on it, but I don't want the parts there. Does anybody make a cap to go over the FA port, to keep the dust out??

You may run into physical constraints using .284 brass. After you cut them down, the wall thickness near the mouth may be too thick. Seems to vary from one brand of brass to the next and new vs used. When you seat bullets, that creates a bulge extending down the cartridge the length of the bullet and they either won't chamber or get stuck halfway in or out. You may have to get a reamer and ream them. Then there's the extractor groove depth issue. Some extract and some cause the extractor to hang up against the barrel extension. If that happens going into battery, it can break the extractor. If it makes it into battery, it can cause the cases to stick in the chamber after you shoot them. Most of us who experimented with .284 brass a half dozen years ago, gave up eventually as the touch labor wasn't worth the cost saving.

EDIT: From back in 2011

The bulge is less noticeable than this. The scarring in the image was after getting stuck in the chamber.

2nd Edit: Here's the Link to the thread discussing issues with .284 brass. There are additional links in it referencing related topics.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

cowboybart wrote:I just bought 3 lbs of Lil Gun and ordered a Deadshot barrel. Dies will be coming shortly, but brass is gonna be the problem. I have about 30 pcs of 284 brass with split necks from my 6-284. I will at least get some 230gr plinkers loaded. My upper has a forward assist on it, but I don't want the parts there. Does anybody make a cap to go over the FA port, to keep the dust out??

Buy some 450 BM ammo and shoot it. There's a free, reloadable brass case that comes with each round.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby cowboybart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
Buy some 450 BM ammo and shoot it. There's a free, reloadable brass case that comes with each round.

That's blasphemy!!! I haven't bought ammo in 25 years, why would I start now??

(Actually I did buy 100 rounds of 7x57R ammo for a newly acquired drillings. It was only after I bought it that I figured out I could have made it from 444 Marlin)

I am familiar with the case bulge. Years ago I had a 475 Wildey that required inside case reaming. That, among other things, made me send the gun down the road.
cowboybart

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles