Hog with new AR 450BM

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Hog with new AR 450BM

Postby Robert FL » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 am

I got my 450 put together Friday afternoon, tweaked the mags saturday morning, sighted it in saturday at noon. We had a nice NW wind so I called my wife and told her I was going to sit in my Island tree stand..not really an Island but water almost surrounds it. Just after 4 a small group Osceola Gobblers fed to 10 yards of me, they went north to a cypress swamp. I have been fighting a cold with a dry cough and was feeling crappy...I had a coughing session but muffled it with my jacket but felt like I need to go..I got down Right before last light, didn't go 25 yards and I had a group of hogs run up on me..I was able to get a shot off at one, not a good shot but it was a killing shot, mid ribs exit back in front of ham. The shot knocked her down but she got up and ran 50 yards and piled up. There was a good blood trail with intestinal matter in it. The 450 made a big exit hole.
Attachments
1230171832a.jpg
1230171832a.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 18753 times
Last edited by Robert FL on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert FL

Re: Hog with new AR 450BM

Postby Spike1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 am

Sweet! Another one bites the dust. Ha. I love shooting hogs at our ranch.
Spike1

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am

Got this hog last summer. It was about 60 lbs. So far have eaten the ribs and tenderloins. Will probably make chili out of the shoulders.

This was at the Independence Ranch about 100 miles west of Houston. Although their basic hog hunt is very expensive, they always are running specials and they have an online raffle for a "free" (there are some fees involved) hunt, which is how I got my trip. If you don't have a friend with a ranch, this is a good bet, if you can find a discounted hunt.

Got it just behind the shoulder from about 30 yards and it dropped like a rock. I think the 450 is an excellent pig gun. Just before I left on Saturday, another hunter got a 500 lb sow.
Attachments
Pig Hunt Success adjusted for shadows red size.jpg
Pig Hunt Success adjusted for shadows red size.jpg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 18745 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Robert FL » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:12 pm

NIce Hog Jim, We prefer wild hog over deer for the table but I do love deer hunting. I got 5 hogs earlier this month with my 243 bolt action. I had no problem finding the hogs shot with the small 243 bullet but I wanted a bigger entry hole...I got the 450BM for not only hog hunting but to take Deer hunting in Ohio and possibly Indiana. I usually bow hunt in Ohio but I am wanting to try a gun hunt next year. We just ate fried back strap with country gravy and brown rise for lunch. I used a tenderizer hammer to flatten out the backstrap. My wife made up some all purpose flour with Tony Chaserie seasoning and garlic salt, I floured the meat and fried it in coconut oil.. Pretty sure the 450BM will be used all year as my hog gun.
Robert FL

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 pm

You're makin' me hongry!!!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Awesome! If you were using factory ammo, please fill out the survey at the top of this category.
Here’s a link! Congratulations!
http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15514
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 am

nice rig and nice kill Robert, congrats!!
Al in Mi

Postby Robert FL » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks, this is the first AR I have owned or shot since I sold my first one back in 1997..got $800 more than I paid for it in the mid 1980's. It was a Colt SP-1 carbine with no forward assist. Just put a fresh boned out ham in a crock pot, I injected it with Cajun Butter and a little liquid smoke. Gonna make pulled pork with Cattlemans gold BBQ sauce.
Robert FL

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Pig on Fire

. . . put a fresh boned out ham in a crock pot, I injected it with Cajun Butter and a little liquid smoke. Gonna make pulled pork with Cattlemans gold BBQ sauce.

. . . fried back strap with country gravy and brown rise for lunch. I used a tenderizer hammer to flatten out the backstrap. My wife made up some all purpose flour with Tony Chaserie seasoning and garlic salt, I floured the meat and fried it in coconut oil.

I ground the remaining shoulder, neck meat and other scraps into hamburger. . . . and made spaghetti sauce with the remaining meat. Just cut up and used a tenderizer hammer on the 2 back straps, fried in coconut oil with flour with Cavenders Greek seasoning and Tony Chasirie cajun seasoning. We made 6 cups of Gluten free Country gravy with the pan dripping . . . . The ham I injected and cooked in a crock pot came out good. It did not fall apart So I had to cut it up and add Cattlemans Gold BBQ sauce to it. I bought some Kings Hawaiian sweet bread rolls and some low carb Flour Tortillas to put the meat on . . .

Maybe we need a recipe thread.
Last edited by Jim in Houston on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Robert FL » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm

This hog is pretty much gone. I gave a ham and shoulder to a kid at our hunt camp.. I ground the remaining shoulder, neck meat and other scraps into hamburger. I gave 2 zip locs of burger to one of my cousins and made spaghetti sauce with the remaining meat. Just cut up and used a tenderizer hammer on the 2 back straps, fried in coconut oil with flour with Cavenders Greek seasoning and Tony Chasirie cajun seasoning, We made 6 cups of Gluten free Country gravy with the pan dripping of course.... Oh I also made Brown Rice.. I know what I'm having for Lunch the rest of the week..I will let my wife have some too. Got a rain front moving thru but I might be able to get a hunt in this Thursday? I am hoping to see a nice buck but a fat hog will work too. The ham I injected and cooked in a crock pot came out good. It did not fall apart So I had to cut it up and add Cattlemans Gold BBQ sauce to it. I bought some Kings Hawaiian sweet bread rolls and some low carb Flour Tortillas to put the meat on, it was good.
Robert FL

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall