RELOADING VS FACTORY AMMO

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

RELOADING VS FACTORY AMMO

Postby gmstack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 am

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BETTER FACTORY AMMO BALISTICS BY RELOADING FOR MY RUGER RANCH RIFLE ?
gmstack

Re: RELOADING VS FACTORY AMMO

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 am

The 250 FTX has a pretty good ballistic coefficient that is hard to beat compared to other .451-.452 diameter bullets. So if you really want to beat it your going to have to run them faster. Safely, mind you. From what I've seen from members here with a Ruger Ranch rifle, that won't be a problem. As far as ballistics are concerned, The 450B isn't a long range cartridge. So if your only shooting out to 200yds max, B.C. isn't a huge factor. I personally find a 50yd zero works well with my 450B AR's. basically point and shoot out to 150yds and then I can cheat up a few inches to get to 200yds. I never shoot that far, but if I needed to, it wouldn't hard to get there.

The biggest advantage to reloading this cartridge is bullet choice. A lot better options than the 250FTX, my personal opinion, anyway. Some companies have started offering ammo with better bullets, but they are not cheap.

I would say if you want to get the best ballistics out of the rifle, and better performance on game than the 250 FTX, run a 275 TSX or XPB, and run it out long. Just work up slow and watch what your doing.
Last edited by Bmt85 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Re: RELOADING VS FACTORY AMMO

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:34 am

Your going to get a lot of chiming in asking your question....first factory ammo is limited to 38,500 psi because of use in a AR-15 in a modern bolt action with the same cartridge head size personally I wouldn't hesitate to go to ( have gone) 60,000 psi....

Start pushing more velocity and pressure = more recoil...in a lightweight Ruger American recoil can get a little lively for a lot of people...

One thing to remember if you have a AR-15 or family, friends do be very careful that they don't try to shoot your "HOT" ammo in there guns ....loading too long to fit in a AR-15 magazine is a good safety measure...will help increase case capacity also....
coyote wacker

Return to Reloading for the 450b