RELOADING 450 BOLT ACTION RIFLES

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

RELOADING 450 BOLT ACTION RIFLES

Postby gmstack » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 am

ALL OF THE RELOADING DATA I CAN FIND PUBLISHED SEEMS TO BE FOR AR RIFLES. ANYBODY BEEN ABLE TO FIND BOLT ACTION RIFLE DATA ???
gmstack

Re: RELOADING 450 BOLT ACTION RIFLES

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 am

You shouldn’t have a problem using current available data. You will most likely be running at a little higher pressure, but considering the action can handle more than an AR, you should be good. Start low and work up slow.
Bmt85

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:55 am

gmstack wrote:ALL OF THE RELOADING DATA I CAN FIND PUBLISHED SEEMS TO BE FOR AR RIFLES. ANYBODY BEEN ABLE TO FIND BOLT ACTION RIFLE DATA ???

I’m working on it, gmstack. What I’ve learned so far is that the bolt actions, especially the 1:16 twist barrel versions, require smaller charges of LilGun to achieve wanted velocities. I’ve got several loads that I want to test but my job and my health and the weather have not been in my favor lately.
The best advice I can give you for now if you want to start your own load build up is to start with LilGun for 180 Grain-250 Grain bullets and 1680 for the 274-300 Grain bullets and refrain from other powders for now. One load that I do know works fine in both my bolt and AR is for the FTX 250 Grain. And that’s 39.5 grains of LilGun with a mild LSC and a final taper crimp to 0.474”.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Cutright » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Does it matter if you do the LSC first or after the taper. I have been doing the taper crimp first
Cutright

Postby Thom28 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Do you really feel you need the LSC on the bolt or single shot 450? I have seen no bullet creep when shooting either my Gunsite or No.1.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

I’m not LSCing for bullet jump on the bolt actions. I’m doing it for better ignition. And yes. I do a slight taper crimp first to about 0.476”, then I do the LSC, then a final taper crimp to 0.474”.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gmstack » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 am

I am looking forward to going to the range with my new ruger ranch rifle however at the moment its 7 degrees and tomorrow we are getting freezing rain then 3 to 7 inches of snow on top of it. When you get the chance to do your research on loads please let me know I always welcome input from others. guy
gmstack

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm

gmstack wrote:I am looking forward to going to the range with my new ruger ranch rifle however at the moment its 7 degrees and tomorrow we are getting freezing rain then 3 to 7 inches of snow on top of it. When you get the chance to do your research on loads please let me know I always welcome input from others. guy

Not topic related but your Eagles are enjoying three times the temperature that you are. I know we here are! For this time in February, +21 is a heat wave. It was -14 when I left for work yesterday morning. That's more typical weather. Unfortunately, a warming trend in our winter usually heralds snow, which we are also getting as I write this. Its supposed to pass and then back down we go, in time for tomorrow's game, when its predicted to only be +5. At least it'll be windy! The kind of wind that snatches the gasp right out of your mouth. Thank goodness it won't be -14. ;)

I'm a sucker for underdogs, so Go Eagles! Even though you had to endure us choking to death in the playoffs.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gmstack » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:53 pm

The truth is I happen to be more of a Steelers fan but I always seem to be rooting for the underdog thus GO EAGLES. We live in the far northeastern corner of Pa and normally get 4 to 5ft of snow in the winter our elevation is just enough higher than Scranton and Allentown that when they get rain we get snow. But I do think the Eagles just might pull it off. guy
gmstack

Postby gmstack » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:57 pm

By the way i have been ice fishing at millacs in Feb with the temp 36below and 4ft of ice. Great walleye and perch fishing though.
gmstack

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b